Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2003, 09:30 AM

Default Anyone seen USA Today?

There is a pretty interesting frontpage story in USA Today on internet gambling. It's mostly on sports betting. It seems EXTREAMLY one sided to me. You all may want to check it out. The story makes internet gambling look like the next crack!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Anyone seen USA Today?

I just read it. It was interesting. I like this quote:

"They blame the addictive behavior on the growing accessibility of gambling websites..."

Doesn't the blame need to be placed somewhere else, like in the lack of discipline and self-control of the addict?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read it. It was interesting. I like this quote:

"They blame the addictive behavior on the growing accessibility of gambling websites..."

Doesn't the blame need to be placed somewhere else, like in the lack of discipline and self-control of the addict?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, like everything else you're supposed to place blame on the supply not the demand. without drugs, there'd be no drug addicts, with out alcohol there'd be no alcoholics, and so on and so forth.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:48 AM

I think it's funny that they keep saying that kids and college students are the ones gambling on-line. However, if you look at the statistics listed in the paper it turns out that most of the people gambling on the internet are women, over 35 (most over 45), with an income of over $40,000, and college educated. OH PLEASE SAVE THEM FROM THEM-SELVES!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Is this the new \"Reefer madness\"

You have to wonder about the US government and their fears of basic human nature, oh well going to smoke my crackpipe... err log onto my online pokersite...... Ps what was the date of the issue I wouldn't mind looking this up at the library, thanks.......
Old 08-22-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Is this the new \"Reefer madness\"

It was in the USA Today...huh...today (8-22-03) the same story minus the charts and graphs in on their site usatoday.com
Old 08-22-2003, 05:39 PM

However, if you look at the statistics listed in the paper it turns out that most of the people gambling on the internet are women, over 35 (most over 45), with an income of over $40,000, and college educated. OH PLEASE SAVE THEM FROM THEM-SELVES!!!

Who the hell needs a dating service when you've got poker sites!!!!
I'm a 33 SWM, I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppy dogs, pockets Aces, and of course I've got HUGE blinds.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Typical big government hypocrisy

It's all about control. What a joke. Next thing you know, they'll be saying pot should be illegal...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, like everything else you're supposed to place blame on the supply not the demand. without drugs, there'd be no drug addicts, with out alcohol there'd be no alcoholics, and so on and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like many seem to think that if there were no guns there'd be no murders... Ridiculous! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2003, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like many seem to think that if there were no guns there'd be no murders... Ridiculous!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who believes that? Nobody I know.

However, I and many other people believe that if there were no guns the murder rate (and suicide rate) would be much less.