Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Default How Do You??????????

I just started playing about two months ago and have read Ed Millers beginers book and am now going through SSH for the second time. I play .5/.10 rather tight as I am using the starting hand recommendation from Ed's book.

My question is, how do you play againest these people in the .5/.10 level who play "Big card and anything from any postion", "Bottom pair and ride it to the river with three Big cards on the board, and so on, and so on? Oh, and betting these hands like crazy.

I appreciate any input,
AG
Old 12-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: How Do You??????????

By taking all their money.

I don't understand your question. You've read both of Ed Miller's books and still think this game is unbeatable? I'd re-read GSIH. And hang out here. Respond to hands, post your own hands where you were uncertain of the play. Study the game, you will improve.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 AM

First thank you for replying. And ok, I will just take all their money lol

I know the game is unbeatable, I am just being beaten half the time by hands that shouldn't be played to start with, and I was wondering how one plays againest these off the wall hands that are coming at me on a regular bases?

I will take your advise and again I apprciate the help.
AG
Old 12-10-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First thank you for replying. And ok, I will just take all their money lol

I know the game is unbeatable, I am just being beaten half the time by hands that shouldn't be played to start with, and I was wondering how one plays againest these off the wall hands that are coming at me on a regular bases?

I will take your advise and again I apprciate the help.
AG

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is absolutely not unbeatable. You are wrong.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:19 AM

My bad, should have been "I know the game is beatable"
Old 12-10-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My bad, should have been "I know the game is beatable"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just keep practicing, keep reading, and keep studying. You made a good move by coming here. Post a lot. Don't be afraid to post how you would play a hand just because you might be wrong. A lot of the times, you will be - but then someone corrects you and explains why, and you'll learn. 2+2 is very +EV [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 10:04 PM

Winning at poker isn't about winning pots, it's about winning money.

Who cares if this 1 pot your AA got cracked by some [censored] playing 72o? The next 10 times it the same hand comes up you'll win it and have a huge net profit from it. You need to think big picture, not hand by hand.

Those donkeys playing crap lose their money over a reasonable period of time. It's a fact. All their play does is give more variance to the money at the table, but a larger net gain for you in the long run.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:21 PM

Fryguy,
Thanks for the big picture thought. When all is said and done it is the big picture that counts and the money. lol
AG
Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 AM

Tight is good, but not too tight. The basic starting guides in SSHE are good. As you get reads on players you can modify according to their tendencies.

Look for areas to value-raise. TPTK on a way-uncoordinated board, 4-flush, OESD. Even MPTK is most often a raising situation.

Avoiding bad starting hands is easy. Improving post flop play is the hard part.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:07 AM

Welcome to the boards. Your question is too braod to answer concisely. Several dozen poker books (many of them good) have been written on it and no one has offered a complete answer.

Don't take this the wrong way (as an insult or belittling in any way): the fact that you are asking this question

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, how do you play againest these people in the .5/.10 level who play "Big card and anything from any postion", "Bottom pair and ride it to the river with three Big cards on the board, and so on, and so on? Oh, and betting these hands like crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
shows that you don't understand poker very well. Some advise in this thread has been good (Fryguy's comment that you are trying to win money not pots was good for example), but you need a much more expansive and comprehensive understanding to be a winner at higher limits.

The good news is, I think you are in the right place. My advise: read these forums, and study hand postings. Ask questions liberally on here and SS also. Oh yeah, and the SSSH (small stakes short handed). Try to read and soak up stuff -- as much as you can. Oh, and reread GSIHE.

Good luck.

EDIT: This post somehow got listed as a reply to aheravi. It was meant for the OP.