Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 07:30 AM

Default Going to war w/ a piece of cheese

15-30. Pretty loose.

Everyone limps to me on the button. I'm sitting w/ Ad6h. I take a quick glance at the passive blinds and they don't seem to be especially excited. I figure I might flop quads or something, so I call. 9 of us see the flop.

Flop As4d6d

Well, I like the flop. Tricky aggressive UTG bets. More aggressive and also tricky UTG+1 calls. Folded to me. I raise. UTG now 3-bets, which he'd absolutely do w/ either an Ace or a flush draw. UTG+1 now 4-bets, which is the kind of thing he'd do if he wanted to get me out of the way. So, I flat-call (cap is 5 bets). UTG flat calls.

Turn (As4d6d)5h

Somewhat surprisingly, UTG bets. Somewhat more surprisingly, UTG+1 raises. Perhaps most surprisingly, I 3-bet.

What do you think so far?

Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 AM

Default What happens next

UTG cold-calls the 3-bet. UTG+1 cold-calls.

River (As4d6d5h)Ts

Check. Check. I bet.

What do you think now?
Old 07-09-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: What happens next

If your afraid of trips or possibly an A,10 you might want to check behind. Although I'm the type of person would just bet it again and make a crying call if I got re-raised and hope it was AK I was up against. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ed S.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:31 PM

Well, one of 'em can have the nut diamond draw and aces. If he has Ad-Td, well, you lose. But let's give one of 'em top pair and the flush draw. But what's the other guy got?

If it were me, and they'd both called that third bet on the turn, a word would be forming in my mind, kind of like those weird pixelated images that Ticketmaster puts up to prevent bots from driving their ticket-acquisition website. And then I'd start to realize that image said, "set."

At which point I'd probably check the river.

Regards, Lee
Old 07-09-2003, 09:31 PM

Note that I had the Ad. So that eliminates TP/FD as a possible holding. Which I guess makes it more likely that one of them has a set.

You'll have to trust me on UTG+1. He loves to raise pocket pairs and he hates to let me escape cheaply, so based on pre-flop and flop play, I really didn't think he had a set.

But UTG. I really thought he might have a set when he bet, 3-bet, and flat-called #4 on the flop. But then he bet out on the turn. That seemed like an un-setlike action to me. Was I thinking reasonably?

But the time that's relevant is the turn. Once I 3-bet and they just call, I'm 100% certain there are no sets out w/ these guys, so no need to worry about a set on the river. For both of them, calling on the turn means exactly "I don't have a set or straight."

As for those pixelated images, is it just me, or are they getting harder and harder to read?

Old 07-09-2003, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Going to war w/ a piece of cheese

Haven't read the results yet. Looks good so far to me. If you get 4-bet, I think it's time to slow down unless you fill on the river.

Edit: River looks good as well.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:43 PM

Nicely played, Im sure your hand was good. I think the key to the hand was the action on the flop. I highly doubt either of your oppenents would play a set this fast from UTG or UTG+1 with all of those oppenents behind them. Also, its very uinlikely either has made a straight so you can just about rule that out too considering thier position and thier flop action.

It looks like one of them flopped two pair with A4, and the other one had Ax of dimonds and didnt get there with the flush draw of hit his kicker. Good hand, this an example of how good hand reading skills get you extra bets.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:17 PM

I think the key to the hand was the action on the flop.

Me too. That combined with UTG leading out on the turn is what convinced me neither of them had a set.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:44 PM

I don't like the pre-flop limp, but lets just say you are trying to mix it up. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think your flop play is fine and what I would do if I was in this situation. Same thing goes for the turn. Why slow down? I think so far so good.

Ed S.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:48 PM

The play of the hand disgusts me. Mostly because I can't three bet the turn with scary ass boards and know I'm good like you can, and it costs me lots of money. It also makes up for some of your sins and transgressions before the flop, like your retched call with A6o after 6 callers.