Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Final Table button play

Down to 6 players. Typical blind steals and somewhat weak plays being made. You have 54K chips on button (above average) with QQ. Folded to you, blinds 1K 2K. You raise to 6K and chip leader in BB (78K) calls. Flop is 10 7 10 no flush draws. BB checks and you bet 10K ... BB check raises minimum. What do you do and why? What range of hands do you put villian on?

thankx
Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Final Table button play

OK ... well, heres what I was thinking. The minimum check raise kinda screams a strong hand. Maybe he spiked a miracle set ... But he could also put me on pushing high cards and is trying to make a play on me. I can see medium pocket pairs legitimately thinking they have the best hand, although I think more than a minimum raise is in order.

I raise all in with my QQ and he shows K 10 off for 3 tens. I guess the only hand I beat that I could put him on would be JJ. I could have folded and still had a decent stack. Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK ... well, heres what I was thinking. The minimum check raise kinda screams a strong hand. Maybe he spiked a miracle set ... But he could also put me on pushing high cards and is trying to make a play on me. I can see medium pocket pairs legitimately thinking they have the best hand, although I think more than a minimum raise is in order.

I raise all in with my QQ and he shows K 10 off for 3 tens. I guess the only hand I beat that I could put him on would be JJ. I could have folded and still had a decent stack. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding here is super-weak without a read. Pushing is fine. Calling and pushing any turn is also fine. The problem with pushing is you probably only get called by a T. Waiting to the turn lets you get another bet from hands like a 6, pocket pairs and random bluffs. I don't really mind giving him a cheapish shot to hit a 2-4 outer.

Steve
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 PM

To me, a minCheck-raise there just screams a T. That said, it certainly is possible he could be doing this with a low pocket pair. I dont think he'd minraise if he thinks you whiffed your overs (he'd probably raise more). I'd just call, and reevaluate on the turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"sometimes you just know you're beat and have to lay it down"

as strong as your hand is, i think continuing with the hand requires a good read on the villain given his chip advantage. did he strike you as a tricky player? had you seen him bluff or overplay hands earlier?

a check-raise (even a min-check raise) is a obviously strong move and i tend to give those who pull it off credit for a strong hand unless i believe they are habitual Fancy Play abusers.

while it might seem weak-tight, i'd call the check-raise hoping like hell for a Q ... i'm folding to a significant bet on the turn and pushing to a check.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:14 PM

A min-raise by the chip leader does not indicate a monster by any means. I push here, I don't want to put myself in a difficult situation later on when an A or K comes.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A min-raise by the chip leader does not indicate a monster by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe not but i don't see many hands that we're beating calling a push.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A min-raise by the chip leader does not indicate a monster by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe not but i don't see many hands that we're beating calling a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ,99,88,66 -- and a donking AK. I dunno I like the push.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:25 PM

Thankx for the replies. The villian was playing like an expected chip leader ... stealing blinds quite often, etc. When challenged with an all in reraise, he did fold a couple of times. He did push hard in position after checked to him, but never in about 50 hands at final table did he check raise. I was 2nd in chips before the hand and would have severly hurt his stack if I won ( which possibly is another reason to believe his check raise constituted a strong hand ). Interrestingly, there were 2 shorts stacks about 10 K in chips ... I fold and leave myself with well over 30K and I stand a pretty good chance of making the top 3 at least, which is significantly more money. May have been a weak tight play to fold, but def would have positioned me for a bigger payout. Of course if I win I become a significant chip leader. Again thankx for the replies
Old 11-30-2005, 04:24 PM

I can see people doing this with any pocket pair, any seven, any ten. You do beat a lot of hands, push.