Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 AM

Default New to 6-max, not sure how clear cut this is

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($7.05)
UTG ($10.18)
Button ($3.10)
SB ($10.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.10, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, Button calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.3</font>, Button folds, SB calls $1.30.

Turn: ($4.10) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4.1</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $8.20

Like I said, I'm new to 6-max NL games, so I'm really confused by this turn bet. I just don't know what check/calls that flop and leads the turn.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: New to 6-max, not sure how clear cut this is

j10 does. i'd give a little bit of a bigger game a shot tho. I am new also but even the 25s at the xparty were so bad that I couldn't put people on hand ranges and felt it was detrimental to learning (see results even for the hand you just responded to that I posted).
Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 AM

Well, the reason I moved down to the .05/.10 is a combination of running bad/bad BR management and a serious attempt on my part to practice better BR management.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:05 AM

6max is where its at guys...

i guess i have a question then. if this were full ring would u raise this hand pf from the bb? i just find that it may be the best hand but if i do get called it doesnt play well at all oop in a bigger pot...
Old 11-15-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i guess i have a question then. if this were full ring would u raise this hand pf from the bb? i just find that it may be the best hand but if i do get called it doesnt play well at all oop in a bigger pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

depends [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. main difference is at levels even at 100nl full there will be more than the button that has limped. and i would only raise this if button is only limper and he owuld raise a decent hand, and I can outplay the SB on the flop. I thought 6max was all about isolating and gaining position (assuming button will fold if we raise)
Old 11-20-2005, 07:08 PM

well played. If i'm first to act on turn, i may c/f as well, depending on read.

Part of the advantage in short games is that the weak/tighties are in trouble and the crackheads are too. You stay in middle and you're good to go.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed a lot of 2+2ers play 6-max. I was wondering why? I've always played full ring, partly because my natural style is fairly tight. I've heard it said that shorthanded play can allow poorer players to do better as they may not be making a mistake playing their normal range of marginal hands. Would I be right in thinking that the attraction of shorthanded NL is being able to use selective aggression to win a lot of hands PF or on the flop?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would I be right in thinking that the attraction of shorthanded NL is being able to use selective aggression to win a lot of hands PF or on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, maybe for some

for me, the attraction is being more intimate with each of your opponents, and being able to exploit their weaknesses more frequently
Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed a lot of 2+2ers play 6-max. I was wondering why? I've always played full ring, partly because my natural style is fairly tight. I've heard it said that shorthanded play can allow poorer players to do better as they may not be making a mistake playing their normal range of marginal hands. Would I be right in thinking that the attraction of shorthanded NL is being able to use selective aggression to win a lot of hands PF or on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience, full ring is more of a rock garden than 6-max. Rocks and set farmers pay a lot more in in blinds and missed draws so many tend to avoid the 'action' tables.

So if you are adept at taking money from rocks and set farmers full ring is probably very profitable for you. If you are better at extracting from uber LAGs and maniacs then 6-max is optimal. Neither is 'better', but it is important to understand the differences.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the reason I moved down to the .05/.10 is a combination of running bad/bad BR management and a serious attempt on my part to practice better BR management.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think playing nickle dime is a great learning experience. Yes the poker is terrible and you wont beable to apply poker logic, But to beat it you need patience and disipline. A good lession before moving up.