Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Flopped Set, how to protect in MP

I always question the best way to protect your hand in situations like these. If you bet out no one is folding even overcards let alone gutshots and flush draws. I hate checking and seeing it checked around. How does everyone handle these situations?

Also I assume this type of thing comes up time and time again so if you can direct me to previous good discussions that would be great as well.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero?

EDIT: Fixed the flop
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Flopped Set, how to protect in MP

I don't see a set...
Old 11-14-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a set...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry fixed the flop
Old 11-14-2005, 06:15 PM

Simply bet for value. You still have an equity edge. Push it and Pray.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:16 PM

This is a supereasy bet. Screw protection, you've got a good freakin hand. Get $ from it. Small pot. If everyone will call, bet and raise for value. You're far ahead. Don't even think of checking this if people will call.

Protection should be the last thing on your mind; building the pot should be the first thing.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:17 PM

Bets. Sets are strong even though there are alot of draws out. Just play it fast.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 PM

You have to bet here. If it gets checked around, you're begging for any straight for flush draw to hit on the turn. I bet here and hope to have it raised behind by something like TPGK or two-pair. You need to bet here to get rid of the draws or give them poor odds to chase.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 PM

When you flop a set you're not trying to protect your hand. You're betting and raising for value since you have a huge equity edge. This goes for the example in this thread as well. Against 4 players your edge here is pretty big.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 PM

There really isn't anything you can do. Just bet for value. You almost certainly have the best hand and even if someone makes a straight or a flush on the turn, you have plenty of redraws. Flush draws and OESD will not fold on this flop. Moreover, you can't ever be certain anyone has a flush or straight draw.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:22 PM

assuming you actually have a set, then there is no need to protect. Bet and raise like crazy You have a strong equity edge. Seriously, if I see one more post about protecting a set on a 2 flush flop I am going to die.

Here's an exercise for anybody who was thinking about "protecting" their set. Find out how much you make (on average) if you manage to get it HU on the flop. Now compare that to how much you make if everyone puts in an average of .75BBs on the flop. Those that make it to the turn puts in an average of 1.75 BBs each on te turn and river combined. I'll post my own analysis later.

edit: include any extra thoughts or assumptions you choose to make.