Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Default River bet the whiffed draw

Hi guys-

Looking for some feedback on this hand.

Villain in SB was 75/10, very loose and usually agg. Loved to bet nothing.

What do you guys think of the line?

Thanks,
Ben

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($3.15)
Button ($40.76)
SB ($50)
Hero ($27.54)
UTG ($60.51)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, Hero calls $0.25.

Turn: ($1) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $2.

River: ($7) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>
Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: River bet the whiffed draw

I really like to have something better than queen high when facing these kinds of players as they often like to go to showdown. If I'm raising this it's either preflop or on the flop, but it seems to have worked for you anyways
Old 11-05-2005, 11:38 AM

I would have tried to take the pot down earlier against a loose aggressive player. You're QT is a favorite over a random hand, but against a player who will play anything you will never know where you are at. I would have started with a pre-flop raise of about 3 to 5 times the BB. You don't mind taking the pot down here, but a call is likely. I would have raised the flop as well.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 PM

I really don't like this line. Firstly you're taking a gutshot straight draw far too far against a laggy player who you know to be bad, there are much much better spots than this.

Secondly you're breaking the cardinal rule of never bluff a loose player. It just doesn't make sense.

Players this bad don't need bluffing they need valuebetting. There is no way this type of player folds often enough to make the river bet good. Don't bother thinking about image and so forth he won't notice. The only type of loose player worth bluffing is the terrible lag who will fold to minraises, but they are sadly rare.