Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Hand quiz: Tough JJ overpair hand four-way

Is tough JJ hand redundant?

I thought this was an interesting away-from-the-table analysis problem that would help everyone make a better decision in this marginal situation.

CO is 54/19/1.7 and does not 3-bet lightly; other two are VPIP > 30-40, fairly passive.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (15.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1.25 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Hero?

What is your line here and why?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Hand quiz: Tough JJ overpair hand four-way

Oops, I those stats are for the button, not the CO. Button is a LAG, but doesn't 3-bet lightly. CO is loose-passive.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:03 PM

Shameless bump. C'mon, 80 views and no answers?
Old 11-04-2005, 04:11 PM

Pot size is too big for me to fold, I am also closing the action so I wont be raised again.

is that a leaK?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot size is too big for me to fold, I am also closing the action so I wont be raised again.

is that a leaK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's a leak. I wanted to post an example where folding in a big pot is correct.

Once the A hits, you are behind to the vast majority of holdings here. You probably need another J to win, and even then you can lose to the straight, so even in this big pot, even though you are closing the action, you need to fold.

I guess I'm the only one who found this interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Ed Miller likes to say folding for one bet in a large pot is wrong, but a lot of people don't notice that he always talks about pot size. He doesn't advocate blindly calling in large pots. This is a case where the pot size is not quite large enough to call. You probably need it to be around 23-24 BB.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:12 PM

i'd fold on the turn.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd fold on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. You have a loose passive capping the flop, and the Button who doesn't 3-bet lightly, and an ace on the turn. This does not look good for JJ.

You are getting like 20:2 on the turn and I think you are behind close to 100% of the time... fold it and move on.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:09 PM

Fold turn
Old 11-05-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 06:15 PM

I really dont see this situation as marginal. Its about as clear cut as they come. Folding the turn is the only way to play this hand.

-Mike