Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Expert Play ??

A play I saw that made me think ...

Inter 50-100

I raised UTG AQ, super laggy player floats me, button 3bets, we call...

flop 884, I check, supper ladggy bets, button raises, I fold, laggy calls

turn 5, laggy check button bets, laggy checkraises, button calls

river ten laggy bets and is called, laggy shows 22...

I really liked his line, win or lose I think the turn checkraise really freezes the button when he has overpair, and he gets maxium value when his hand is good...

any comments ? is he overplaying his hand here ????
Old 10-27-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Expert Play ??

so did 22 win?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:54 AM

I don't like it because you can almost certainly put BB on either big overcards or 99+. If you CR the turn you risk giving the BB a free card when he has overs. The other times you end up putting an extra bet in when you're drawing to only two outs.
However if you think your turn play gives you a significant amount of fold equity against this particular opponent (read dependent) then it may have merit on some occassions (rarely).
Old 10-27-2005, 02:49 AM

I think it's a great play, even knowing that there is no way he will fold a better hand. Nonetheless it could fold AK or such, hence protecting his hand. Or it could win extra bet(s) from the AK, if he calls down. At worst, it costs him one extra bet.
But the reason why I really think it's a great play is not so much for that hand, but rather for the image it creates. It announces to everyone, don't f with me cause I'm fearless and I'll f right back. Even if this guy is too loose to be a long term winner (I don't know whether he is), this is precisely the type of play that makes it so tough to play against these guys. Any real edge you have against them is mostly pre-flop, which simply ain't much.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:08 AM

i think it is stupid. a better hand is folding never, ever, ever, ever. IMO button's flop raise says 1 of 2 things: (1) I have 2 overs and want to clean up outs/get a free peek at the river [ LAG's turn check is severely retarded if this is the case, as sooooooo many cards hurt him.](2) I have an overpair and am gonna jam it here. Also, if you know he is a LAG, chances are button does to, and will give his turn c/r very little credit.

where did mr LAG CC from? If he's gonna get involved here, he may as well 3-bet preflop and get his 22 HU with you.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:48 AM

the game is 6 max, so my utg raise is one off the hi-jack, and his coldcall is from the hi-jack, cutoff folded, button 3 bet....
Old 10-27-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the game is 6 max, so my utg raise is one off the hi-jack, and his coldcall is from the hi-jack, cutoff folded, button 3 bet....

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm....i guess i suck, cuz I likely fold 22 in villain's spot.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 AM

So awesome.

The guys in these games that are 3 betting AJ-AK PF from the button here are def firing on the turn with this dry board, and then calling down because they think you're full of shyte.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:46 AM

based on previous hands the button, (as would I), in this game 3 bet AK, AQ preflop.

and laggy so often was full of [censored], not sure how I would have handled his line, I probably would have incorrectly folded to his turn checkraise.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:05 AM

Shouldn't the button check through the turn if he has AK? I know I would. Am I missing something?