Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 02:17 PM

Default name influence

I posted this in another thread but somebody said it deserved a thread of its own.

One thing I gotta admit is amusing though is how players interact with me differently when I'm playing under bicyclekick as apposed to the other names that most people don't know. A number of the 'good' players are constantly trying to 'outplay me' and get me off my hand....a lot more than when I played in these games a few weeks ago under the aliases...

maybe just a small sample...but I don't remember the last time I got popped so much only to call down and see a bluff.

It's probably a deep down subconcious competitive/ego thing in people's minds. I remember when I figured out who guy on tilt was I played some hands very stupidly vs him.

Makes me think. Should I make my next account my name related to bicyclekick or not. I wonder if it's +EV or -EV to have a name people know.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: name influence

This is a tricky question. First you must consider how the players percieve you. You know which ones know you, I'm sure you've played with them many of times. Do you use this against them? You know what their thinking, you take advantage of it by making a counter-adjustments? I'm sure you do. Also, are players intimidated by you (IE: They try to avoid playing hands with you). If so, I say keep the name. Its a big plus to sit at a table with a dominating image, makes everything else a lot easier. If the players aren't generally intimidated by you but try to bang heads with you a lot and "target" you, then I think you should change names.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:26 PM

For limit, I liked having a recognizeable name because I felt like opponents "feared" me more. For NL, I hate it because people are more willing to take shots at me since they know I am relatively tight postflop.
-James
Old 10-14-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For limit, I liked having a recognizeable name because I felt like opponents "feared" me more. For NL, I hate it because people are more willing to take shots at me since they know I am relatively tight postflop.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't agree more... thanks for making up my new and improved, better than ever NL moniker.

Barron
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never taken a shot against you in my life.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:38 PM

I'd say another name. I have never ventured into anything bigger than the paradise 20-40 and party 15-30 as well as 15-30 live but there is one particular poster here that consistently checkraises rivers against me and consistently folds to a three bet. I doubt anyone here knows my paridise or party names but his party name is the same one he uses here. In a lot of his posts he suggests checkraising and folding to a three bet with somewhat mariginal hands hit on the river. The river three bet semi bluff ( i suppose he could have a worse hand) is not my regular or even semi regular play but I do use it occassionally against this particular player. Only because I know it is more than a possibility that he will fold to a three bet.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:53 PM

i think recognizable names are generally -ev. the other day i was playing against a known weak-tighty twoplustwo poster who didnt know who i was. i had information to exploit him and he did not have that same information for me. having people know you are bicyclekick cant be good, especially when you dont know who your opponents are. some people wont know who you are, some people will know your playing style fairly well and others will just recognize that youre some guy who made alot of money from twoplustwo. i dont think you want people backing down against you just because they fear you play better postflop. if thats the case, they are making the right decision to stay away from you with marginal situations when you want them involved.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. having people know you are bicyclekick cant be good, especially when you dont know who your opponents are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if people will always use that extra information to extract more money from BK. But I think many of them will use it as BK said, to try too hard to outplay him, therefore spewing to BK. I'm not saying if keeping or changing a BK related name is good, but I'm just pointing out, that opponents will definately sometimes use the extra information, only to their own detriment.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:33 PM

I say keep it as bicyclekick, cause now that you are in the 30-60 and 20-40 games, I like knowing whose raising me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-blake
Old 10-14-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
known weak-tighty twoplustwo poster

[/ QUOTE ]

me?