Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 11:50 PM

Default Thoughts on problem starters...

Hi All--

What do you think when you're dealt these cards?
AJo
ATo
KQo

I've managed to struggle my way through these hands (650 times in online play, to be exact), showing a very modest profit. I just can't figure out how to play these very well. Some thoughts:

- I almost always fold these to a legitimate raise.
- I almost always raise with these when opening in the CO or Button.

Other than that, I get lost pretty quick. Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on problem starters...

Hiya Rock,

unless the game is loose with a lot of 5-7 way flops, I'd raise UTG with all these hands.

I'd reraise with all these hands if I'm in the blind and it was open-raised from the cutoff or Button.

I'd fold all these hands to a tight EP/MP raise.

I might call with KQ and AJ if I felt the raisor had a broad range of raising hands.

I'd 3-bet with these hands many opponents open-raising from LP (and I on the button or cutoff).

That enough?

-Scott
Old 05-20-2003, 07:44 AM

Hey Scott--

Thanks for the reply. Here's a refresher for anyone who bounces around between posts (like I do)... what do you think when you're dealt:
AJo
ATo
KQo

unless the game is loose with a lot of 5-7 way flops, I'd raise UTG with all these hands.

You want fewer opponents, so a raise is good. But a raise won't get better hands to fold (AK, AQ, etc), just weaker ones (A9, KJ, etc). BUT... fewer opponents means that the pot isn't giving correct odds for small pairs and other drawing hands to call. Does this make sense, and is it a major consideration when raising?

On the flipside, if in LP and there are 4 or 5 limpers, you are probably only behind to small / medium pairs. Should you limp in this position, and why? I think seeing the flop for 1 bet (hopefully) against this many is probably the right play. Would you consider raising? I'd say "no", because now you're up against quite a few people who have the correct odds to stick around with drawing hands.

That enough?

No! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
All of your scenarios make sense to me, but I'm hoping to prod a bit more and see if I can figure out why these hands should be played the way they should.

Thanks again...
Old 05-20-2003, 08:39 AM

Use the flat view mode. Hit the "Flat" button up in the navigation post box. Better yet, set your default profile settings to put it that way.

I hate that cascaded view. I get the feeling all the lurkers and people who don't bother setting preferences are suffering unnecessarily.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:59 AM

Hi TTT--

Flat is where it's at... thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 10:23 AM

Rock...

Starting with AJo, this is what I think (especially since 99% of the time I get it is utg or utg+1)...
"wow, this is my most hated hand....but, on the other hand,
I'm so sick of seeing T3o, J5o, K2o, so this looks soooooo
damn pretty..."

Well, at this time, I think I've lost much more than I've won with AJo in early pos that I've forced myself to muck it. It's obviously a raise or muck in early position. But if you raise preflop (as I used to do), like you said, you'll be driving out weaker aces, but not aces that can beat you. What happens if you get 3-bet? How do you proceed when a lone K or Q falls on the flop? What if an A falls and you run into resistance when you bet?

I think late position it's worth a raise against fewer opponents, but in a multiway pot, I think AJo loses a lot of its value ...

Old 05-20-2003, 06:00 PM

If I'm in LP and there are a bunch of limpers to me, I'll muck AJ much of the time.

Why? its doesn't play well in a family pot. I have to catch the flop well to win the hand. Thats not easy with that hand in that spot.

I'd call with AQ, raise with ATs-AKs. (in LP regardless of number of callers)

-Scott
Old 05-21-2003, 04:03 PM

UTG with 5-7 way action. No way! Big unsuited cards just do not play well with a lot of company. Limp, yeah, although I most likely would muck the ATo UTG.

Middle position - Open limp except the AJo, raise. If limpers in front of me, limp with all. (Late middle I would open raise w ith all on a steal)

Cut-off & Button - Open raise. Resteal (3 bet) a CO raiser IF I know him/her to be capable of attempting a steal. Same for SB position. I do know some players that just won't raise unless they have full values.

Big unsuited cards beg for head up action. If I can't get it, I tread very lightly.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Default Hello,Rock! AJo plays well with few...

opponents..So in EP,MP I would try to reduce the field. I would usually fold ATo in EP,MP but play for 1-bet in LP.
I would call KQ in EP,MP for 1-bet--but fold for 2-bets.
I would call KQ in LP --unless I'm the opener--in which case i would raise the blinds. If I call with KQ and there is another bet after i call,I'll continue to play.
HappyPokering,
SittingBull
Old 05-20-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Hello,Rock! AJo plays well with few...

Hi Larry--

Thanks for the reply. If you have a moment, please take a look at my reply to Scott's post (here's the link).

Thanks--