Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Default AA Deepstacked

2-5 blind $500 max buy in live game. Villain and I have been playing for the last 8 hours and everyone else is relatively new. Both of us have been hot. I've been playing well, but not TAG. I've been the aggressor in every large pot that I've been in, and showed down a lot of suited connectors and pp's that hit. Villain has seen me raise with somewhat wierd stuff.

He is LAG and rather reckless. His stack started when he pushed all in on the flop for 1500 with a middle flush draw. The other guy called him with AA flopped set. Flush came. A couple other pots, and he now has around $4K. He has made this exact same reraise on me twice today. Once showed KK, the other time 67s. I can say he is definetely a thinker, and will not go broke to me easily, but will try to make moves.

My main question on this hand comes from the fact that I am way the f over my head. I'm normally a 100 or 200 player on the internet. Sometimes when I play live, I will do one buy in at a 500 game, and have seen some success. I have never had this much in front of me, but I think its going well. I do not really feel like getting stacked for that much though.

Hand:

Villain ($4K) raises UTG to $25. Folds to Hero ($3.8K) on the button with black AA. I make it $80. Villain makes it $250 total. Hero?

I haven't played this deep before. Should I be calling looking to stack, or should I reraise heavy? If I do reraise, how much?

-JOTR
Old 10-03-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: AA Deepstacked

you are playing with 800bbs. calling to stack is absolutely out of the question.

I 4bet to at least 1000 and consider a push.

I also might consider cashing out and buyin in for less.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:16 PM

cashed out right after this hand. i have no experience this deep, just want to find out if 4 betting to that much is the proper play. i think it is.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:45 PM

Because you're playing scared, reraise to 1000 and get the rest in on the flop.

If you can narrow his range down or have some type of read on him, then call and play some postflop poker as you have position and it's heads-up. But there's no shame in raising to $1000 here as he may call w/ KK, and because he showed you that 67s, he may think you're playing back at him now.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 AM

If you're not willing to gamble your whole stack as a 3-1 - 11 to 1 favorite, then you should turn the Aces face up after he raises to $250, laugh, make a crack about how you knew you were beat, take your money, leave the table, and possibly buy in for less.

-J
Old 10-03-2005, 10:39 PM

If you're scared, you should push in. You definitely don't want to raise to $1000, have him call and stack you if he unprofitably gets lucky.

This is because you're playing above your head.

If you weren't playing above your head and can take a bitchy amount of variance as long as it's +EV, raise to 1250 probably.

Aseem
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 PM

Given your situation here, I would go all-in here. Seriously.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:10 PM

because i'm playing scared? and yeah, i can admit that. obviously he's folding to that. so just take the 250 in there right away?

another question. if this were you, what would be some of the options?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because i'm playing scared? and yeah, i can admit that. obviously he's folding to that. so just take the 250 in there right away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are playing deeper than you're comfortable. This happens to everyone at some point, nothing to be ashamed of - being aware of it is great. So, don't put yourself in a situation where you can maybe make a big mistake (paying off and losing a lot or folding the winner in a big pot). By pushing, you do a few things. First off, you can never make a mistake. Secondly, you will usually just take down the pot. Thirdly, sometimes he will have something like KK and will think "no way this guy ever does this with AA, since he must expect me to fold, he must have AK or QQ or something" and call with a hand he might otherwise outplay you with postflop.

[ QUOTE ]
another question. if this were you, what would be some of the options?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I'll call, sometimes I'll repop it to about 750, sometimes I'll repop it more.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:16 AM

Doesnt this depend on what you define as a mistake. I think pushing is +ev but I think that there are other options that are probably higher +ev given the fact that hero will probably only push AA here and Shania will sodomize him.

So not choosing the highest EV play is a mistake, right? Or are you saying hero will get miserably outplayed postflop so that pushing preflop is correct?

--El D #1 fan