Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Small/Medium Pocket Pairs

Alright, tonight was a tough session. Good hands would miss the flop or board entierly, and I spent hours folding away crap. Anyway, I noticed when it comes to small pocket pairs I have no idea how to play them. Do I hang in there for trips, play aggressively or fold to aggression from other players?? The table as a whole is TAG, usually the raiser take the pot. Where can I find good info about playing small PP?

Paradise Poker Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.20 BB

-----

Paradise Poker Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds, SB folds.

River: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

----

Paradise Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (11.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (16.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 24.70 BB

Please help. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Small/Medium Pocket Pairs

Hand 1 fold the flop
Hand 2 fold the flop, or raise with a good read on BB
(Edit: Actually with 2 in front and one behind fold the flop always. And call the turn, you have no reason to believe you dont have 6 outs here, and you have the odds to chase them with the SB still in the hand.)
Hand 3 Perfect

If you havent set on the flop, and its apparent you are gonna need a set to win the hand, it is VERY unlikely you have the odds to draw. There are only 2 outs to chase.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:22 AM

I hate playing medium pocket pairs. I'd fold the flop on all 3 of yours.

Check these out. I probably botched them both.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB
Old 10-01-2005, 05:02 AM

Hand 1: fold the flop

Hand 2: fold the flop

Hand 3: looks good to me
Old 10-01-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: fold the flop

Hand 2: fold the flop

Hand 3: [fold] looks good to me

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-01-2005, 07:42 AM

Generally with small pocket pairs if you don't hit, then you fold. Also, if a table is TAG then find another table if winning bets is your objective. Don't fret about having a bad session. What goes around comes around. heh

1) Fold flop, less you want to continue on the turn and represent something you don't have.

2) I think you have odds to call the turn for your gutshot plus 3 of a kind. Obviously fold river.

3) Good fold
Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 PM

It's nice to know I did play them well, even though it felt wrong.

Should I raise preflop with a "made hand" already, or just call and see what the flop brings?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 PM

"made hand"? Small pocket pairs 66-22 you generally are looking to flop a set -- don't raise. The only possible time to raise is in late position, first in (after everyone else has folded to you.) Even this is dangerous unless the blinds are weak.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:26 PM

fold the flop
fold the flop
looks good
Old 10-01-2005, 01:41 PM

(grunch)
hand 1: since you raised pf and got bet into, the guy is not afraid of your hand. I'd just fold this smallish pot.
hand 2: dump it at the flop--you missed. You only have 2 outs. That's 22:1. The pot would have to be much bigger to call.
hand 3: Considering the action behind you, you can safely fold.

Small pairs are good to limp in with a lot of players, because they have good implied odds if they you get your set on the pot. You should be able to easily get rid of them if they miss.