Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Why push?

This is from a $25 6-handed STT, 1st pays $105, 2nd pays $45, 3rd pays nothing. Blinds won't be up next hand, but they do go up every two minutes, so it won't be long.

SB (3850)
BB (650)
Hero (1500)

SB posts 75
BB posts 150

Dealt to Hero K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero...

It's not especially important to me that I be the one to get the blinds in this situation, I just don't want shortie to pick them up. I'll be happy to go to showdown against him, but obviously I do not want to get all in against the top stack here. Neither is particularly good, so I don't think that the small blind would, for instance, interpret a smaller raise as weak and exploit the bubble to re-steal. So why not just min-raise here? If the SB pushes, I can fold, and if the BB pushes, I can call. Is there a reason to risk it all here?

PS I'm asking this, of course, because SB called me with AA. Unfortunate that he happened to have a hand, but I really don't want him to call my all-in with anything unless I dominate him.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Why push?

Options

Fold (no, hand too good)
Raise 3x BB (no, SB too likely to play over the top and force you into a decision you don't want to make)
Call (no, no fold equity and see above).
Raise all in and get the most fold equity plus no possibility of playing back at you looks best to me.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:43 AM

I don't see how anyone would advocate an all-in here. If third pays nothing then I would call. As long as the BB doesn't get the chips for free I'd be happy. As you said, you're in a nice situation to finish second and a decent chance for first. The fold equity that he speaks of is not good here, because you would probably finish in second anyways and an extra 225 chips will not sway that chance by any large proportions. If the big stack is going to shove it into you, then let him. You honestly shouldn't call unless you have a fantastic hand anyways, so think of it as a payment for second place.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fold equity that he speaks of is not good here, because you would probably finish in second anyways and an extra 225 chips will not sway that chance by any large proportions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If SB doubles up he'll have about as good a chance at second as Hero. BB is very comfortable with his chiplead and will only be calling with premium hands. Therefore, going all in will increase Hero's chances of not getting blinded out and will often prevent SB from stealing the blind. The 225 Hero gains + the 225 SB doesn't gain + BB's calling range makes this a push.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:08 AM

folding here increases the state's manifestation of biopower! In SNG action such as pushing this hand is critical!

har har har

btw this is a push.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If SB doubles up he'll have about as good a chance at second as Hero. BB is very comfortable with his chiplead and will only be calling with premium hands. Therefore, going all in will increase Hero's chances of not getting blinded out and will often prevent SB from stealing the blind. The 225 Hero gains + the 225 SB doesn't gain + BB's calling range makes this a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB is the top stack, BB is the shorty. I am fine with SB taking down the blinds, I just don't want BB to get them. You're right that BB has a narrow calling range, but I don't think the range with which he re-raises all-in over my min raise is a lot wider. It seems to me that the couple of times he decides to re-raise with a marginal hand (QJ, KT, A4) that he would have folded to my push make up for the times he calls my push, which is a disaster almost regardless of what he has.

What I want is a) to take down the blinds, or b) to get all-in against shorty. What I do not want is a) to get all-in against the SB, or b) for BB to get the blinds. Doesn't min-raising accomplish this more effectively than pushing?

BTW, I see no point at all in a 3xBB raise. I don't think it affects SB's or BB's range. BB is push-fold, and SB is deep enough that the one extra BB is not going to make a big difference to his decision. I'm going to fold if SB pushes, so I might as well save the T150.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:14 AM

Push here. You have to think that you have the best hand here and if you get called you have a nice % of winning and dubble up increasing your chances of taking the whole thingy.

Second or third? Who cares, it's the first place you want.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push here. You have to think that you have the best hand here and if you get called you have a nice % of winning and dubble up increasing your chances of taking the whole thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but that's just awful.

Secord or third, who cares? Hero should. It's a difference of $45, or 2 1/4 buy-ins.

Double up? If SB calls your push for half his chips, you can be sure he has a better hand.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about? It's a top 2 pays structure, did you even read the post?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM

Yes, should still aiming for first place.

Whats up with the attitude that you should aim for the money and play tight... Screw that. KJ suited is atleast worth a raise here so you get blinds.

Oh no, if we get busted we loose 2,5 bb or whatyou said, well big deal, that's easy won back...