Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Default What do you do on the river?

Villain is 40/4, 0.7 or something 0.5/0.5/1.5 over the streets. This is over 2000 hands
The other player is 40/10 or something

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB.

Do you bet the river in the first place?

Do you fold to a raise? If I had only a pair of jacks I would fold without hesitaiton. But I was scared that the river card might have given him a set or two pair and he thought his hand was best...
Old 09-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: What do you do on the river?

This is closer to a 3bet than a fold IMO, since he will likely be putting you on a 1-pair hand (a J, or overpair, etc) and raising 2pair/lower set for value.

Calling is fine though since the pot is 3way, he has to contend with the BB possibly having a T so he isn't as likely to raise the weaker hands.

Surf
Old 09-25-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is closer to a 3bet than a fold IMO, since he will likely be putting you on a 1-pair hand (a J, or overpair, etc) and raising 2pair/lower set for value.

Calling is fine though since the pot is 3way, he has to contend with the BB possibly having a T so he isn't as likely to raise the weaker hands.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, interesting conclution. I don't believe in a 3-bet, but I'm glad you're saying that it's closer to a 3-bet than to a fold, because I didn't want to fold either. Although I felt it was closer than a 3-bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is closer to a 3bet than a fold IMO, since he will likely be putting you on a 1-pair hand

[/ QUOTE ]

imo a 3bet is out of the question. SB is a passive player, and he raised the river although another player was yet to act. (His river AF is highier probably because he calls the flop and turn with junk and then folds on the river)
Old 09-25-2005, 01:03 PM

I bet this river every time. The board doesn't look nice but you're facing only one opponent and there are so many worse hands he would call with that you have to risk occassionally paying off two bets to a straight. Looks like I already answered your second question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You're getting 10,5 to 1 on your call here so I think you should call his river raise. That ten is the only real threat to you.

Rozez
Old 09-25-2005, 01:05 PM

Oh, I screwed it up [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. BB was still in. But I'd bet the river regardless.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:12 PM

played fine. Have to bet. Calling is fine. The check raise is stupid because it forces the 3rd player out + it might get checked through. Stupid players don't always have the goods.

Krishan
Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
played fine. Have to bet. Calling is fine. The check raise is stupid because it forces the 3rd player out + it might get checked through. Stupid players don't always have the goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. That paragraph is really a work of art.