Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Another hand from the archives

I enjoyed reading through this one.

8-handed Party 3/6.

Hero open raises UTG+1 with red AA. The Button cold calls, the SB folds and the BB calls. The villains are unknown but haven't gotten out of line yet.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, BB 3-bets, Hero

What's Hero's plan? Why?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Another hand from the archives

i cap. theres a good chance you are still ahead and you have outs to improve. i dont give the button credit for JT due to preflop, i put him on something like AQ, KQ or semibluffing a flush draw. BB is concerning me more. if he leads the river i call.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:55 AM

Putting either of these guys on a range of hands is very difficult. At least for me. I would really really like to know how these players would play an A on the flop, as that would really impact the decision.

The problem I am having is that there just aren't a lot of hands for the BB to have here (the buttons range being a bit wider). So when I can't make a specific range, I compare my equity against the tightest and loosest (within reason) ranges. The tight range I would give him is probably A3, KQ, JT or 33.

Even against that range, hero has huge equity. Seems like a pretty clear cap to me.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:09 AM

I call and raise river.
If I cap turn Button will probably fold since he is likely to have AQ or AJs(less likely) and he'll fold turn with that heavy action. Other coldcalling hands is 88,99 but he wont raise them of course.

With Jgorhams range of hands u r 50-50 with BB right now and have outs to improve to best hand. If u don't improve call river to and go for a overcall of Button since if u r behind u will be raise and otherwise not. U wan't him in to pad the pot because u r 50-50 against the other guy. The only hand u r behind is JT and Button won't have it so all he puts in is dead money.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:13 AM

IMO, from buttons perspective there is very little difference in calling a 3bet (after you have called) or a cap.

Also: how are you so sure button isn't holding JT? He sees that AK on the board, and raises an UTG preflop raiser on the turn. That says strong hand. Top of strong hand list is JT - its just that there are other strong hands he could have here.

Edit: Of course it is possible he has a weaker A here as well. But I don't think he is going to be putting any more money in the pot with it (regardless of 3bet v cap) unless he has AT or AJ, in which case he is sticking around for his gutshot anyway.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:15 AM

I'm capping because it doesn't look like Button has a straight as does BB. I also don't see how we can extract more bets on the river if we call.

Edit: But as the post below mine its true that JT is a more probable holding since we have 3 aces. If one of 'em holds KQ and the other a straight, we can extract like crazy on the river if KQ hits one of his 4 "outs".

The action on the river would go BB bets, Hero calls, Button raises, BB calls (or 3-bet), Hero 3-bets (or caps).

So maybe calling is better.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:25 AM

Toss,

Im intrigued by your proposed river line. When we just call the turn 3-bet we do not who has 2 pair or who has a straight (obviously if Button doesn't cap behind he most likely doesn't have JT) so assuming button has 2 pair and will re-raise when he fills is optomistic (we also don't know which card will fill him as he could have KQ or AQ so the K pairing on the river wouldn't always produce the desired action).

Is calling the BB's river bet the best line if we fill? I think regardless we have to raise BB bet.

If button has filled up with 2 pair he is going to atleast call and probably raise even after we raised.
Now if the button has a hand he would just call the river behind us if we called then we at worst break even if we raise (as BB should always at least call) and have a much greater gain if he will still call.

Thoughts,

Dopey [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 AM

I think its more likely for BB to have JT since he's in the blinds. (Button is more likely to coldcall PF with KQ, AQ instead of JT)
Old 09-22-2005, 07:21 AM

I would actually call here. Based simply on possible ranges and hand distribution, JT is the most probable hand for any of the two to have and it's quite likely that someone has it. If button has it, he will cap it anyway. If BB has it, it's not impossible for the button to fold if we raise, which we do not want in that case. In this last scenario, if we just call and button calls, we have saved one bet when we don't hit the full house or quads, and got as many bets in on the turn when we do hit our outs. And lastly, if none of them has JT, there's still the possibility of the button folding to a raise, and in that case a call will collect as many bets when we are ahead, and possibly more bets on the river than we would have got with the button out of the pot.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IFlop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, Button calls, Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something here? This has to be a typo, right? Is it supposed to be BB calls at the end?