Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 01:42 AM

Default I think I have a passion for overplaying lows.

I had been taking down a fair amount of pots with steady aggression and scary boards on 4th and 5th is why I lead 5th here, looking at it now though I don't really like it.

How many people three bet the river?

Seat 3 is loose and bad but not braindead.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.10 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.55 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___[b]bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: I think I have a passion for overplaying lows.

Jam 6th and 7th. You're probably splitting, but he might have two pair...

EDIT: d'oh, thought you had a low. He's betting into a probably low. If he isn't brain dead he probably filled up. I am no where near good enough to fold the river though.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 AM

Hehe yea, the low missed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Any thoughts about earlier streets?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:40 AM

Fifth is an easy, easy bet. I wouldn't raise the river.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Care to share your thoughts on why 5th is an easy bet?

I bet because my board looks pretty scary and I had been taking pots down frequently, but what about cases where I have little to no folding equity in this spot, still a bet seeing how I'm a dog?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 PM

you bet 5th to kickout the ugly low that might back into a better low, and also to buy yourself a check behind on 6th. On 7th, he would be forced to bet his pair up and you can raise if you make aces up or fold if you miss your low. Against a predictable controllable opponent, you bet fifth 100% of the time.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 PM

Ahhh sounds good, tyvm red.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Care to share your thoughts on why 5th is an easy bet?

I bet because my board looks pretty scary and I had been taking pots down frequently, but what about cases where I have little to no folding equity in this spot, still a bet seeing how I'm a dog?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokenum -mc 500000 -7s8 5s 2c 6d ad 2s - qc 9h qd as kd / 8s ts tc 9c 2h 5c
7-card Stud Hi/Low 8-or-better: 500000 sampled outcomes
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
5s 2s 2c Ad 6d 152139 152139 347861 0 333430 0 0 0.560
As Qc Kd Qd 9h 92214 347861 152139 0 0 0 0 0.440

You don't need folding equity with the best hand.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:43 AM

I would've played it the exact same way. Given that he didn't raise on 3rd street, I would have some expectation of winning the hand so it wouldn't be entirely a C&M (call & muck) situation but you never know at .50/1

Mike
Old 09-22-2005, 01:26 PM

I think you played exceptionally well on the early streets because, I'm thinking you have the better low draw than seat one (who looks to be drawing to an eight low, or his high could've been killed by the two and five and he gave up?). I don't think you could've played it that differently really. You were being checked into the whole time. I wonder if your opponent was merely just calling you down with a high hand to see if, when you've been raising on the early streets in previous hands, if they really were worth the raises or if you were just trying to steal. He may have put you on a steal and decided that with a made high hand, he might be good enough. I think he's pretty sure his high hand will hold up in this heads up situation. And, it might.

I am a little confused as to why you would be betting on fifth street when you're merely drawing to a low. With a board like the one you're opponent has, there's no way he's going to lay it down (maybe if you happen to hit another diamond, he might belive that you've made a flush and possibly the low as well if it's a baby diamond).