Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Bill Clinton uses Katrina for politics...\"Katrina a positive thing\"

CLINTON: KATRINA A "POSITIVE" THING

Former President Bill Clinton described the devastation from Hurricane Katrina as "a positive thing for our country" on Saturday (9/17/05).

Speaking to the BBC Radio 4's Today program, Clinton said that the disaster could encourage Americans to view government involvement in their lives more positively, something the Democrats wanted.

"I think [Katrina] is likely to make us far more sensitive to ...to the importance of effective, good government after repeated decades of often voting for the party that condemned government," Clinton said.

"You know, we all hate government until we need it. So as a Democrat I think that is a positive thing for our country."

Clinton also expressed hope that the disaster would bring the races closer together.

"I think people were very sensitive to the fact that it disproportionately affected Americans of color, principally African Americans, and low income Americans," Clinton said. "So I think it is likely to make us far more sensitive to things that divide us, to fight them."

President Bush has appointed Clinton, along with his own father, former President Bush, a special envoy for New Orleans, and the surrounding area.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Bill Clinton uses Katrina for politics...\"Katrina a positive thing\"

I saw Bill on some of the morning talk shows today. :shudder:

I count my blessings that that man no longer has a say in the running of this country. Our long national nightmare is over. Boy, what a terrible President he was.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Bill Clinton uses Katrina for politics...\"Katrina a positive thing\"

Low unemployment, budget surplus, soaring stock market, no American troops being killed overseas daily ...

What a nightmare!
Old 09-18-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Low unemployment

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks to the long range structural changes by Reagan [ QUOTE ]
budget surplus, soaring stock market

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks to the first GOP congress in over 40 years (it ain't no coincidence that we also had deficits for that long before the GOP came to power)
[ QUOTE ]
no American troops being killed overseas daily ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Clinton set in motion the lack of response that led to the 9/11 attacks, lucky he got out of office just in time to avoid his failure blowing up in his face.
[ QUOTE ]
What a nightmare!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, we agree that Clinton was a nightmare. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 01:14 PM

hahahahaha! Thanks again for the laugh.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to the first GOP congress in over 40 years (it ain't no coincidence that we also had deficits for that long before the GOP came to power)

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO! Hey Genius, you do realize that we now have the biggest deficits in history and the GOP has controlled The White House for 5 years and Congress for 11 years! Wake up and pull your head out of your can!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Bill Clinton uses Katrina for politics...\"Katrina a positive thing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Low unemployment

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks to the long range structural changes by Reagan [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no American troops being killed overseas daily ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Clinton set in motion the lack of response that led to the 9/11 attacks, lucky he got out of office just in time to avoid his failure blowing up in his face.
[ QUOTE ]
What a nightmare!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, we agree that Clinton was a nightmare. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going out of town for a few weeks. When I come back, I hope I don't see a bunch of crybabies trying to rationalize the spectacular RESULTS under Clinton. I also don't want to see a bunch of excuses for Bush's failures. I thought I made myself clear before. Scoreboard Motherfukers.

Also Andy is right, your spin lately are often blantant lies. I suspect you are a skilled right wing propagandist and can do much better. Don't let me down, I'll be watching.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:32 PM

Default He Didn\'t Say That, Which You Know

“Americans were profoundly disturbed by the losses suffered and by the sense that maybe our government did not perform as well as it should have,” Mr Clinton said.

“There was a profound sense of grief at the magnitude of the losses and not only the death but the dislocation of a million people.

“And I think people were very sensitive to the fact that it disproportionately affected Americans of color, principally African Americans, and low income Americans.

“So I think it is likely to make us far more sensitive to things that divide us, to fight them, and largely to make us far more sensitive to the importance of effective, good government after repeated decades of often voting for the party that condemned government.

“You know, we all hate government until we need it. So as a Democrat I think that is a positive thing for our country.”

Where did he say that the hurricane was a positive thing?

You used to be one of my favorite posters, despite our political differences. Now, all of your posts are filled with distortion, partisanship, and invective, without much in the way of insight or analysis. Your political heroes can do no wrong and those you don't like can do no right. You continued to defend President Bush for doing a great job on the hurricane even as the president himself expressed disappointment in the federal response and said the buck stopped with him. Too bad, because during the election you had a lot to contribute, with a sense of style and wit.

Hopefully we'll see the return of those things from you on this forum sometime soon.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: He Didn\'t Say That, Which You Know

[ QUOTE ]
“You know, we all hate government until we need it. So as a Democrat I think that is a positive thing for our country.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Look one line up from the question for the part where he says So as a Democrat(note he didn't say "as an American") I think that is a positive thing for our country(I saw the "positive thing" part, did you?)
Old 09-18-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: He Didn\'t Say That, Which You Know

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look one line up from the question for the part where he says So as a Democrat(note he didn't say "as an American") I think that is a positive thing for our country(I saw the "positive thing" part, did you?)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an obvious reference to 'government' and not the hurricane.

Your blind devotion to the chimp is sickening.