Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:52 AM

Default 20/40 Winning Play??

Button is fairly LAG, but nothing crazy: opening with a lot of hands (60/30 but skewed for short table, and only 60 odd hands).

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

How about if button is solid instead?

The only image talk I want to hear is about my new avatar.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Winning Play??

I like bluffs/semibluffs where you're telling the story of an actual hand, in this case a weak ace, which I really like because he can fold all kinds of better hands. also it's VERY conceivable that you could have two pair or the wheel, so some aces might not even raise you which is great because you have some outs if he flat calls the turn. only thing is you have to fold to a turn raise, but if he does that too much then you can adjust.

that said, I am still playing at 5/10 primarily where people rarely fold anything, so I don't have this one in my arsenal yet.

cool new avatar, table image doesn't matter at all?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cool new avatar, table image doesn't matter at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, my image is standard TAG I guess.. I just don't want someone saying "I don't mind doing this once in a while, it does great wonders for your image." [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 02:15 AM

i believe this play is a winner.

there's a large chance he has a hand he simply can't call with. i think this definitely works 1 time in 5, and it's not like there's anything wrong with getting raised.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

there's a large chance he has a hand he simply can't call with. i think this definitely works 1 time in 5, and it's not like there's anything wrong with getting raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, although i dont think its something you can do every time the board comes A rag rag vs a button steal.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but i think this is kind of silly. It only has to work 1 in 5 times because he inflated the pot by check calling with 9 high no draw. That said, i definitly do this from time to time, so it's fine, just dont do it so often they get tempted to pick you off.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It only has to work 1 in 5 times because he inflated the pot by check calling with 9 high no draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. So I guess it has to work 30% and not 20%...
I like it, have to try it sometime [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 02:47 AM

right. oops. so it has to work like 1 in 2.3 or so... but not quite, because sometimes you make the best hand with a 6 or 9, right? anyways i still believe in this line.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but i think this is kind of silly. It only has to work 1 in 5 times because he inflated the pot by check calling with 9 high no draw. That said, i definitly do this from time to time, so it's fine, just dont do it so often they get tempted to pick you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thought exactly. The flop call is so Hero can donk bet pretty much any turn card. So he is betting 3SBs to win 7 Sbs and needs this to work more than 30% of the time.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:45 AM

its a cute hand - i like it - i only do this sort of thing after i have been at the table for a while and i usually know i am going to do it several hands before i do

i admired the avatar before i read the post - what is it ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk