Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:04 PM

Default I Cap PF 6-ways & check through flop

Is this stupid or appropriate?

This is a hand from some time ago, so no real reads. To the extent it makes a difference to your thought process, statistically over a small number of hands SB is TPP, BB is LAG, UTG is LAG, MP is TNA (like 22/12/2.5), CO is LPP fishy.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (24 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks, Hero checks.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: I Cap PF 6-ways & check through flop

Anyone? After reading some of PE III it reminded me of this hand. I looked at it long and hard and still don't know what is the correct play on the flop (let alone the turn regardless of what happens on the flop).

Do we put our head between our legs and get to SD hoping for the best? Do we bet until told otherwise and call down? Do we try and make a move on a safe turn?

Does this even matter since it happens so rarely?

Let it sink off the page again if it's a foolish post.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:48 PM

It's pretty much suicide to bet into a King-high flop with this many players capped...I think check call to the river unless an Ace hits on the turn or river is an appropriate line here.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM

I think it's fine. You're getting checkraised a lot and you're often behind.

See what happens on the turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 PM

The only play is to check. I don't see how you're going to win this pot without a 2 outer.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:41 PM

everyone in this thread is on crack. youre giving up too much value checking here.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everyone in this thread is on crack. youre giving up too much value checking here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 PM

Not only are you give up value, the pot is huge here, and there are hands that are going to fold because of the Kxx nature of the board, that are actually correct to take one off, hands with backdoor straight draws and medium backdoor flush cards. Also Ax, maybe even pocket pairs.

-Michael
Old 09-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you aren't giving up any value really. you're just giving up a nice chunk of a 24 SB pot
Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you aren't giving up any value really. you're just giving up a nice chunk of a 24 SB pot

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this concept applies in this situation if you assume (as I am) that opponents will call getting 25+:1. Let's say someone has a PP and therefore a 2-outer. He'll call the flop but fold the turn UI. Since he'll hit on the turn 2/45 times, or approximately 4.4% of the time, the check costs Hero .0956 of a small bet from Villain minus 0.044 of a Hero's bet -- it doesn't cost 4.4% of the 24 SB pot (1.06 SBs) unless Villain would fold to a flop bet. Basically, I'm saying I don't think you can look at it from the standpoint of opponents' collective equity in the pot unless you first assume that they will fold incorrectly -- without that assumption, a check potentially misses out on value but doesn't give away any portion of a large pot.