Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Calling all-in w/AK

Blinds are 600/1200, 100 ante. No read on UTG, who raises all in (his stack is 22,000). I'm in BB w/AKo and a stack of 12,000. Do I call?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Calling all-in w/AK

yea call
Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 PM

It would be helpful for you to include information about other stacks at the table, where you are compared to the average stack, how close you are to the money, etc. Assuming a full table somewhere in the middle of the tournament, I'd call. Pushing A's or K's for close to 20BB's under the gun would be foolish, so most likely you're flipping a coin with a smaller pair, though there's a chance you're dominating something like AQ. There's 2800 in the pot before the hand begins, which is 25% of your current stack. At just 10BB's, you're probably below average and should be looking for a chance to double up. This is it. Take the coin flip with a nice overlay and you'll be in a good shape if you catch.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 PM

Average stack was about 50,000 with 45 players left (out of 1900) in a freeroll tournament where the top 18 spots paid. I was somewhere between 35th and 40th, so I definitely needed to double up once, maybe twice to get into the money.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Average stack was about 50,000 with 45 players left (out of 1900) in a freeroll tournament where the top 18 spots paid. I was somewhere between 35th and 40th, so I definitely needed to double up once, maybe twice to get into the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

and u have only 12K? I think its an easy call.

-Scott
Old 09-07-2005, 01:29 PM

It was a freeroll and you were that shortstacked? Easy, easy, easy call (though I can't really think of many spots where it wouldn't be a call, regardless of the tourney- maybe a satellite bubble or something).
Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Actually, this was one situation where I would generally expect tighter play from opponents in a freeroll. Many of them don't push into unopened pots when short stacked, so I think there's less chance of UTG pushing with a really weak hand than there would otherwise be. Also, if I fold here and then try to steal blinds very aggressively myself, I've probably got a better chance of being able to, since my opponents may not realize what I'm doing at first. Not saying this makes a fold correct, but it seemed worth mentioning. Normally I don't end up this shortstacked (unless 0 chips counts), but I got blinded down from $22K and 200/400 blinds while I was in a meeting.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:31 PM

yea call.. ur gonna get blinded off really soon