Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 AM

Default AK under fire

Prima $50NL 6max

Have only played one hand with villain. He has 150$, I have full buyin. Last hand I raised his blind with A8, flop came KJx, I made a continuation, he called. I check turn behind, and he took it away from me on a blank river with a big bet. Looks agressive and solid.

Preflop: I'm holding A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button
3 limps, I raise to 2$, blinds fold, 2 limpers call.

Flop (7.25$): T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
check, check, I bet 6$, one fold, villain calls

Turn (19.25$): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
check, I bet 15$, villain minraises to 30$

where do you take it from here? What is your read on villain?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: AK under fire

I'm probably going broke there, especially considering he just raised you out of a pot earlier. He may just be on fire and hitting sets every other hand, but laying this down to a miniraise I just can't see.

On his range of hands, I could see QJ making this move, especially if he happens to have QJ of spades. 87 of spades is another one (where he got lucky and hit the straight on the turn).

I would need to know more on how he plays to nail it down. Some players will not give free cards with draws out, so if he had a set or like A10 on the flop he wouldve raised you. Others are willing to slowplay on even the most dangerous of boards.

Because its six max, you said he's aggressive, and the turn isn't likely to have given him a better hand I'd go all in. Wouldn't be shocked to have to rebuy though, but I just don't see how you can get away from this without knowing villain a lot better than playing one hand with him.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:07 AM

After thinking some more about this, I didn't have a full buyin. I had 43 to start the hand. I have 5 left if I call his minraise.

At the time, I put him on AQ or AJ, although that might be wishful thinking. Looking back, Ax of spades might do this to.

At the time, I followed your line of thinking that he already pushed me off a hand I had invested in, and he might be doing the same again. But now the minraise is looking more like he was trying to extract.

Maybe my ego was a little hurt because I had to give up the previous hand, and I was looking for excuses to call this.

Anyway, you're saying you couldn't get away from this either. I'd like to hear some more opinions about my play. Haven't posted hands in a while, but this one really has me thinking about my play.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:15 AM

This is a very easy fold
Old 09-07-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very easy fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate? What do you put opponent on? why is a drawing hand or a smaller ace unlikely? Keep in mind that I'm getting 3.5:1 on this call (that's already counting the 5$ I have left), so I only need to be good here about 22% of the time.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you put opponent on? why is a drawing hand or a smaller ace unlikely?

[/ QUOTE ]
Two pair or a set. This is textbook slowplayed monster.

A check minraise of a drawing hand is very rare and definitely not how a standard player would play it. Likewise, this is a very strange play for a smaller ace.
[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that I'm getting 3.5:1 on this call (that's already counting the 5$ I have left), so I only need to be good here about 22% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you aren't.

Edit: Took out the bit about effective odds. Misread your post. Sorry. It's late.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two pair or a set. This is textbook slowplayed monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you a clue. It's not. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 AM

This guy believes in folding AK on an AA4 flop in low stakes no limit when two shortstacked opponents move in on you.

I don't doubt he's a winning player, but he's clearly on the weak tight side of things.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This guy believes in folding AK on an AA4 flop in low stakes no limit when two shortstacked opponents move in on you.

I don't doubt he's a winning player, but he's clearly on the weak tight side of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't fold TPTK to a turn checkminraise, you're going to have some problems. The trips decision is close, very close. If you bothered to read my analysis, the reason that I said it was a fold is that with 3 aces already accounted for and 2 players allin, most of the time someone will have open trips beat at that level, which is why I believe, to quote Pzhon, "A fold is the percentage play in the long run."

This is a completely different situation, and isn't close at all IMO. And not to be results oriented or anything, but folding would have saved Hero 20$ here, no?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Prima $50NL 6max

Have only played one hand with villain. He has 150$, I have full buyin. Last hand I raised his blind with A8, flop came KJx, I made a continuation, he called. I check turn behind, and he took it away from me on a blank river with a big bet. Looks agressive and solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd often check behind and call the river bet here anyway, but your past experience with this guy makes it even more likely that he'll bet the river with the worst hand. By checking behind you give a free card for the flush draw, but I think it is made up for by the times you get a bet on the river from a worse pair, missed flush draw, or complete bluff.