Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 11:52 PM

Default An interesting 80-160 hand

This was a very interesting hand that I witnessed in the 80-160 game at Bay 101 tonight. I had just gotten there, but judging by the cast of characters, it was clear this game was unhinged.

It's 10 handed and folded to Degenerate Gambler, who limps in MP. On his left is Peter, who is a very tricky, thinking player. Many people think Peter is very live, and he does play too many hands, but he is one of the best card readers that I've ever seen, and will apply lots of pressure on all streets. He changes gears with the best of them, and it's not always pedal to the metal. Anyway, he limps, too. The button (terrible) limps. The SB (bad local high limit player) completes. The BB is Henry, a thinking prop. He raises with AcAd.

DG now springs to life. He's been losing his a$$ and has been going all in every hand, but he tripled up recently and now has some chips. He 3 bets. Peter calls. Button calls. SB folds. Henry caps it. DG, Peter, and Button all call. 4 players see the flop.

Flop: 8h 6h 3h. Henry bets out. DG raises. Peter 3 bets. Button folds. Henry looks sick and calls. DG calls.

Turn: Tc. Henry checks. DG springs to life again and bets. Peter raises. Henry goes into the tank for about 45 seconds and finally calls. DG calls, leaving him with 7 chips left.

River: 2c. Henry checks, DG goes all-in for his last 7 chips. Due to the rules at Bay 101, Peter's options are to call, fold, or complete for 1 more chip. He mucks. Henry calls.

Comments on all streets welcome. How would you have played it if you were Henry? How about if you were Peter? What did DG have?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: An interesting 80-160 hand

Peter played his hand excellently as Henry's hand was relatively obvious, and he had a good shot at making Henry fold it on the turn with his decent pair and flush draw, DG won the pot with random two pair (or maybe flush), and I don't mind the way Henry played it.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:05 AM

Peter played it great. Looks like AhTx or something similar. He knows Henry has an overpair, and puts him to the test on the turn since he knows Henry doesn't have the Ah, he might fold aces with no heart or feel shitty about calling with KhKx. On the river, he's [censored]. Henry made the tough decision on the turn, and since he can't raise more than one chip because of some stupid rule, he knows Henry is going nowhere, and folds the worst hand. Henry played it great also because he knew Peter was capable of making this excellent play at the turn and called it down. His only mistake was thinking for so long, which opened him up for more plays at him.

2 good postflop players playing well in a big pot.
-James
Old 09-06-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 good postflop players playing well in a big pot.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]you like the BB play here??
MR.callcallcallcallcall...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:35 AM

Yes, I think BB played it fine. As Ray pointed out, DG is seeing a showdown here - we're not charging him anymore. The only person who can give us more money is Peter, who when we beat will likely give us one more bet(on the turn) but when we are behind will almost always charge us 2 additional bets. I am not sure if we are ahead of Peter or behind - depends on his trickiness and how I'd feel while I was at the table. The more I think about it, the more it seems that calling and reraising are similar in expectation - but that reraising is a marginally better play.
-James
Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 AM

"reraising is a marginally better play."

i think reraising is significantly better because it spells out loud and clear "do NOT fuuck with me!", very important to state repeatedly with your chips in a game like this.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"reraising is a marginally better play."

i think reraising is significantly better because it spells out loud and clear "do NOT fuuck with me!", very important to state repeatedly with your chips in a game like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you want people [censored] with you? I've played in some very tough games at some decently high limits, and I've never particularly minded players "[censored]" with me - that seems more like an ego thing than an EV thing IMO.
-James
Old 09-06-2005, 12:12 AM

dg has A8 with the Ah. peter has Kh9x. henry shouldve bet-3 bet the turn and it's not close. being scared against wild super laggy players with an overpair is bad limit hold em.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dg has A8 with the Ah. peter has Kh9x. henry shouldve 3 bet the turn and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

After all that hesitation? Do you then call a 4 bet because you exposed so much weakness? Because I do agree that auto-threebetting would have been a stellar play in this enormous pot.
-James
Old 09-06-2005, 12:18 AM

"After all that hesitation? Do you then call a 4 bet because you exposed so much weakness? Because I do agree that auto-threebetting would have been a stellar play in this enormous pot."

i wouldnt have hesitated. i wouldve had my chips ready to jam the flop and the turn. if someone 4 bets the turn i expect to likely be beat but i call down, the pot is silly huge and they play cuckoo. this is limit hold em, i have pocket aces, and they are known to be out of control. if they flopped a flush theyre going to win a sick pot because im not going anywhere and with a player dead set on going all in and a tricky dicky as my only competition im loving every time i get in this situation.