Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 08:08 PM

Default The Constant Gardener

Yes, a movie review on the politics forum. Because the movie, while a Le Carre story, isn't so much a spy story as a political story about Africa, multinational pharmaceutical companies, and what people can or can't do to make a difference.

A stunning movie. Great performances by Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz, but it's the movie itself that sears iself on your conscience. Really, I had a hard time getting out of my seat at the end. But then the audience got up and applauded and I joined them.

Don't miss it.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: The Constant Gardener

Is this a remake of the Peter Sellers movie in the '60s?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: The Constant Gardener

I agree, just saw it tonight. Terrific film. I usually disagree with Le Carre's politics, but his characters and stories are amazing.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Tinker

[ QUOTE ]
I usually disagree with Le Carre's politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as LeCarré's "politics", at least as we came to know them through his books (and the movies of his books), were strictly anti-Soviet, what exactly did you find wrong with them ? Are you a Carla mole ?

--Cyrus

PS : I cannot forget, though, the man's totally disgraceful stand in the Salman Rushdie affair. At the time, anything less than total support for Rushdie's right to write whatever the hell he wished (and also not get killed for it!) was disgraceful.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Tinker

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing as LeCarré's "politics", at least as we came to know them through his books (and the movies of his books), were strictly anti-Soviet, what exactly did you find wrong with them ? Are you a Carla mole ?

[/ QUOTE ]

LeCarre covered the cold war from the middle and deleved into the moral ambiguities of both sides from the beginning. Most reviewers and readers acknowledge that LeCarre's more recent books have a decidedly leftest slant.

[ QUOTE ]
PS : I cannot forget, though, the man's totally disgraceful stand in the Salman Rushdie affair. At the time, anything less than total support for Rushdie's right to write whatever the hell he wished (and also not get killed for it!) was disgraceful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check this out tomorrow but now I need sleep.

Rick
Old 09-06-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the time, anything less than total support for Rushdie's right to write whatever the hell he wished (and also not get killed for it!) was disgraceful.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading your link, I can not agree with your statement.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:32 PM

I find this statement of le Carre's disgraceful:

"there is no law in life or nature that says great religions may be insulted with impunity."
Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find this statement of le Carre's disgraceful:

"there is no law in life or nature that says great religions may be insulted with impunity."

[/ QUOTE ]

But, why?

Maybe you think that all religions may be insulted with impunity. If this is the case, I don't agree with you. But hardly I can qualify either case (yours or Le Carre's) as disgraceful.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find this statement of le Carre's disgraceful: "there is no law in life or nature that says great religions may be insulted with impunity."

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it repugnant.

I guess this is just something we will disagree on. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Absolute Friends or The Little Drummer Girl or, indeed, The Constant Gardener. Even the classic Cold War books like The Spy Who Came in From the Cold make it pretty clear that he only prefers the West because, in his mind, they were very slightly better than the Communists.

The Rushdie stuff, which I wasn't really familiar with, further reinforces my doubts about his politics. He remains an outstanding storyteller though.