Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Help me raise my VPIP

The following is all for 1/2 10 max (only 10 max, I don't like to play 9 max): My stats for around 22k hands are 12.12/6.77/1.8. Some might say that the PFR is too low but I'm not too worried about that. Everyone has been telling me that the VPIP is too low. I will give you a general idea of what hands I play and where, and maybe you can help me out as to where I'm lacking there.

Here are some of the hands I play and how I play them. Keep in mind that this does NOT apply 100% of the time and I change my game around a little bit here and there. Also, this is for typical 1/2 ring tables of average VPIPs around 25 or so. Obviously if the average VPIP is very high, I become much looser.

fold AJo UTG
fold all pocket pairs 88 and lower UTG and UTG+1
play low PPs only after 2 or more limpers
play suited connectors only after 2 or more limpers
fold KQo UTG
open-raise liberally in last 3 positions (QTo, A7o, 55, etc)
raise PPs 77 and up in last 3 positions after one limper
limp with suited aces only after 2 limpers (or raise to isolate from last 2 or 3 positions)
fold TT and AKo to raise if raise is from very tight raiser with large sample size of hands played

In addition, I often 3 bet more marginal hands if there is a open-raise from LP (i.e., 3 bet ATo from SB if button opens up).

Anyway, I realize that part of my problem may be being too tight from EP but I really think that the table type warrants this. If the average VPIP is 35 or so, then I WILL limp with lower PPs from EP. FWIW, over the course of these 22k hands, I've been making 1.3-1.4BB/100.

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Help me raise my VPIP

[ QUOTE ]
fold AJo UTG
fold all pocket pairs 88 and lower UTG and UTG+1

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are some of my thoughts on these 2 points. Many will say raise AJo from UTG but I call with it. I think folding is giving up too much if your looking for more hands to play and get your vp$ip up a bit.

Im raising 99 and higher UTG so 88 must at least be a call. At some tables 77 is any easy limp UTG. These should help improve your stats without getting you in too much trouble provided your post-flop play is sound.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet TT and AKo to raise if raise is from very tight raiser with large sample size of hands played or a donk who just sat down

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-30-2005, 01:01 AM

These are good responces so far and I appreciate the advice thus far. For one thing, I think that if I started to loosen up with KQo and AJo in EP, it really wouldn't get my VPIP up THAT much. Limping early with suited aces? I don't know about that, it depends on the table. As I said, what I wrote about how I play applies to typical tables of about 25 average VPIPs. I'd limp from EP with a suited ace at a lookse passive table.

As for the TT and AKo, to answer your question, Redd, I will fold if his PFR is at most 3. Of course though, I won't do this all the time. For example, if it's an LP raise to open up, that's a different story. But when someone who is 16/2.5/.5 or something like that opens from UTG, then I have some thinking to do. I've usually found that I'm correct when I fold in these cases; the worst hand that they hold is AKo. If not AKo, it's JJ-AA.

So yeah...
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 AM

I play 1/2 10-max and 9-max fairly similarly. Despite the fact I play situationally preflop, I run into similar situations in both games fairly often. Note that I also practice pretty stringent table selection and am a bit of a pf LAG.

[ QUOTE ]
fold AJo UTG I raise >95% of the time.
fold all pocket pairs 88 and lower UTG and UTG+1 I limp ~half the time with low ones. I always play 88, sometimes with a raise.
play low PPs only after 2 or more limpers Bout the same. I'll play from EP with one limper, or make special considerations for real donks
play suited connectors only after 2 or more limpersToo general to relate. I always fold 23s, but will limp JTs from EP over half the time.
fold KQo UTG Raise >95%
open-raise liberally in last 3 positions (QTo, A7o, 55, etc)Again, pretty broad but sounds about the same
raise PPs 77 and up in last 3 positions after one limperSame, pending the limper
limp with suited aces only after 2 limpers (or raise to isolate from last 2 or 3 positions)I'll limp these in EP >2/3 of the time
fold TT and AKo to raise if raise is from very tight raiser with large sample size of hands playedUsually not. How tight is very tight?

In addition, I often 3 bet more marginal hands if there is a open-raise from LP (i.e., 3 bet ATo from SB if button opens up).Very broad, but I'd play the example the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 AM

I'm no pooh-bah, but here's my advice...

I also have been having a hard time raising my VPIP. Mine is around 14, which much too tight. I believe the reason mine is so low is because I'm playing too much fit or fold poker. Where your up in $1/2, you should be trying to steal the blinds more and also playing more by position. Although my knowledge of the game of poker is limited, buying into a "I never..." mantality in this game is definatley -EV.

I'm heeding my own advice to you here, you need to loosen up. I'd definatley recommend starting in LP's and moving up as you grow comfortable with adding more hands. (that's what I've done, and it's helping). SSH provides a great pre-flop chart, I'd recommend following it if you feel a bit lost or are looking for some possible hands to add.

Gl,
G.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

fold AJo UTG
<font color="brown"> don't fold this, she is beggin to be played(raised). </font> .
fold all pocket pairs 88 and lower UTG and UTG+1 <font color="brown"> , I learned this is a big mistake
</font>
<font color="brown"> depends on too much to answer (reads, image, position, players already in), but okay</font>

<font color="brown"> again it depends, position is a biggy, what are my exact suited connectors matter a lot too.</font>

fold KQo UTG
<font color="brown"> How could you be so mean? raise this</font>

<font color="brown"> You'll play A7o from the hijack but not KQo UTG? </font>

<font color="brown"> nc</font>

limp with suited aces only after 2 limpers (or raise to isolate from last 2 or 3 positions)
<font color="brown"> nc </font>

fold TT and AKo to raise if raise is from very tight raiser with large sample size of hands played.
<font color="brown"> I've never had a good enough read on anybody to ever really do this. </font>

In addition, I often 3 bet more marginal hands if there is a open-raise from LP (i.e., 3 bet ATo from SB if button opens up).

<font color="brown"> good, you should also try it against loose open limers from anywhere</font>
Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

fold AJo UTG
<font color="brown"> don't fold this, she is beggin to be played(raised). </font> .
fold all pocket pairs 88 and lower UTG and UTG+1 <font color="brown"> , I learned this is a big mistake
</font>
<font color="brown"> depends on too much to answer (reads, image, position, players already in), but okay</font>

<font color="brown"> again it depends, position is a biggy, what are my exact suited connectors matter a lot too.</font>

fold KQo UTG
<font color="brown"> How could you be so mean? raise this</font>

<font color="brown"> You'll play A7o from the hijack but not KQo UTG? </font>

<font color="brown"> nc</font>

<font color="brown"> nc </font>

fold TT and AKo to raise if raise is from very tight raiser with large sample size of hands played.
<font color="brown"> I've never had a good enough read on anybody to ever really do this. </font>

<font color="brown"> good, you should also try it against loose open limers from MP and on</font>
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 AM

All I'm going to say about this thread is every one of you should read Ed Miller's SSHE. That'll help you correctly raise your VP$IP.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All I'm going to say about this thread is every one of you should read Ed Miller's SSHE. That'll help you correctly raise your VP$IP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Following SSHE for me has already given me a 18-20 VP$IP. Preflop is easy (though I learned a few things from this post, like limping in Axs with 2 ppl in first)