Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 02:53 AM

Default worthwile post?

so lately i've been really working on my sh game and one big aspect of that is playing a lot of hands with bad cards and good position.

one of the mistakes i see a lot of you making here is that you're playing your hands well but you're not playing the board well. what i mean is that in some cases the board can help you so much to win the pot that changing your lines accordingly can really add value to those marginal hands. in other cases it can really help you get action on your hands.

i know this kind of thing might be below a lot of you guys, but do you think it would be helpful enough to sit here for a few hours and pound it out?

if not, do you have any other topics you think would make a good long "think about this" post?

fim
Old 08-29-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: worthwile post?

I would eagerly read anything you have to write about shorthanded play.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:58 AM

I think playing the board is very important.

I also think something that is often missed in this forum is discussion on multiway limped pots and when you should bet out to take it down with something marginal or nothing.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think playing the board is very important.

I also think something that is often missed in this forum is discussion on multiway limped pots and when you should bet out to take it down with something marginal or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

oo, that is a good one...

fim
Old 08-29-2005, 03:04 AM

Go for it man
Old 08-29-2005, 03:05 AM

Absolutely
Old 08-29-2005, 03:06 AM

I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean bluffing with scare cards? Or picking up small pots when you have nothing?

I like to bluff scare cards, and it's really helping my BB/100 (It's 25PTBB/100 for my first 6k hands at NL$25... I'm not sure if it's sustainable). The trouble is, when you bluff scare cards... DO NOT get married to the pot. Just because you've put a lot of money in does not mean that you have to get it. If you bluff a scare card, and the guy calls - chances are the scare card helped him.

I just overcame the whole "I've bluffed this far, I better shove the rest of my chips in to try and buy this pot", and that's what made me trying to pick up small pots so unprofitable in the past. Now that I've got over that, it has become a lot more profitable.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:17 AM

I'll try one of these.

lets say 1 limper to you on the button with QJs.

you raise to 5xBB to steal, you get a call from BB and limper.

flop comes AT3 rainbow. both checks to you. I would bet here. you can represent Ace good kicker, if you get minraised you can call if stack sizes warrant and hopefully bust this guy's set/two pair if the K hits.

but lets say the flop comes T87 with 2 flush thats not your suit. here when checked to on the flop, I'm much more likely to check behind. its much more possible to represent the A then overpair. Also, i I get called on the flop I have no idea whether villain holds slow played made hand, flush draw, or straight draw, or top pair.

instead, I can wait until the turn and bet any A, K and bluff that way as its perfectly plausible for missed overs to play this way. if I hit the 9, my hand is perfectly disguised.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 AM

nice... I'd bluff the flush, would you?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 AM

if you bluff the flush, you got to convince vilain that you have something like AK or AQ of the flush suit, which is hard to do and lots of guys will check the turn with the flush hoping to check raise or somehow disguise their hand.