Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Preflop after limpers?

I am comfortable first in PF, raising ATo+, KJo+, QJs+, 88+ and lowering my standards slightly when on the button or CO.

My problem comes when there are limpers in front of me. I find myself calling with alot of weaker opening hands such as KJo and also other weaker hands like KTo and QJo. I get confused about when to raise limper(s) and think this is a reason why my PFR is only about 10%. It has something to do with overall equity, your hand may not be favourite but it must be more than (100/number of players)% chance of winning.

What sort of hands should I be raising limpers? Are all the opening hands suitable?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Preflop after limpers?

Check out this chart : http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...=14&fpart=

That'll have some answers for u [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 11:35 AM

2 things.
1. lower your open raising standards more than "slightly" in the CO and button.
2. Generally, I'd raise one or two limpers with all the hands you mentioned. Over-limping is usually not correct.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 things.
1. lower your open raising standards more than "slightly" in the CO and button.
2. Generally, I'd raise one or two limpers with all the hands you mentioned. Over-limping is usually not correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Most people who open-limp often play very lose-passive preflop and vpips of 50% on those players are not rare. Therefore you should raise these players with quite a wide range which accomplishes mainly three things.

1. You're isolating the weak opponents making it more likely that you'll get heads-up or shorthanded against them, which is good b/c the hands you mentioned plays better in pots with few people.

2. Your raise makes it easier for you to take controll of the pot postflop. Regardless if you manage to isolate or if blinds/similar call people will often check to you which gives you the options of checking for a free card or bettin for value.

3. If you manage to isolate and you're alone against the limpers you will often be able to win the pot unimproved right there since you're representing a good hand and they're likely to have missed the flop too.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 PM

You could do fine in 6-max if you never overlimped. I can't think of many spots where raising isn't better, besides with low PP's in a few spots and with some marginal hands on the button.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:32 PM

Wow, I didnt realise that over-limping isnt good. I know I do that alot! I will definately try to raise limpers more. I usually limp with suited connectors with 2+ limpers and reading your posts, this may be the only time to do it (weak suited aces too maybe).

Thanks for the chart too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually limp with suited connectors with 2+ limpers and reading your posts

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. Limp them. (JTs raise...9Ts possibly)

[ QUOTE ]
, this may be the only time to do it (weak suited aces too maybe).

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise AXs against weak limpers.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 PM

What about from the SB? I find my self calling suited crap 9 or T high with 1-2 limpers. Im guessing thats wrong. I am pretty good at chucking weak offsuit aces and weak unsuited connectors though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about from the SB? I find my self calling suited crap 9 or T high with 1-2 limpers. Im guessing thats wrong. I am pretty good at chucking weak offsuit aces and weak unsuited connectors though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2 limpers complete any 2 suited cards from SB. I complete AXo from sb with 2 limpers ...with 1 limper I either raise to isolate if the BB is tight enough to fold or complete. Weak unsuited connectors are usually ok to fold.