Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Which came first?

Something I was thinking about on the way home from the bar.

Scenario:

You are in the middle of a cold streak. Halfway through a session in which you are losing, your clone who is running incredibly good takes over for you. What happens?

-Jason
Old 08-23-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Which came first?

He wins at your win rate.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:54 AM

He is dealt the same cards you would have been dealt.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something I was thinking about on the way home from the bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you always get very philosophical after drinking? Haha. But I don't really get the title of your post "which came first?" In regard to your question I would say that your clone would proceed to win at a BB rate of your typical winning rate + rate you had been losing money at to get you back up to an average night.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In regard to your question I would say that your clone would proceed to win at a BB rate of your typical winning rate + rate you had been losing money at to get you back up to an average night.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
+ rate you had been losing money at to get you back up to an average night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain your reasoning, please.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
+ rate you had been losing money at to get you back up to an average night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain your reasoning, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be completely wrong but my thinking was that assuming your clone that is running good plays exactly the same way you were playing when running bad (and assuming that the cold streak was inversely proportional to the hot streak)you would be able to get back up to your true win rate for the night. Just a thought. I may have taken these assumptions for granted and I am not sure if the OP meant that at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could be completely wrong but my thinking was that assuming your clone that is running good plays exactly the same way you were playing when running bad (and assuming that the cold streak was inversely proportional to the hot streak)you would be able to get back up to your true win rate for the night. Just a thought. I may have taken these assumptions for granted and I am not sure if the OP meant that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

A cold "streak" is just a run of cards that happen to be worse than normal. There is no set hand limit for a streak. It could be 2 hands or 2 thousand hands. The cards don't know who you are. If you're having a cold streak, then having some one new sit at your computer who is "running good," does not mean they will keep running good. It doesn't mean they will start running bad, either. Each new hand has the same likely hood of being aces as the last hand did, no matter who you are. There is no reason to believe that you or any other person will run anything but normal at any given time.

Having someone play on your account who plays just like you but is on a hot streak, does not mean they will get different cards than you would have gotten.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A cold "streak" is just a run of cards that happen to be worse than normal. There is no set hand limit for a streak. It could be 2 hands or 2 thousand hands. The cards don't know who you are. If you're having a cold streak, then having some one new sit at your computer who is "running good," does not mean they will keep running good. It doesn't mean they will start running bad, either. Each new hand has the same likely hood of being aces as the last hand did, no matter who you are. There is no reason to believe that you or any other person will run anything but normal at any given time.

Having someone play on your account who plays just like you but is on a hot streak, does not mean they will get different cards than you would have gotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I understand all of this. Perhaps I just misunderstood the OP or didn't express my idea in a clear way.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and assuming that the cold streak was inversely proportional to the hot streak

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what happens when you assume?