Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Quit job, played poker for 3 months, Got new job

Hey all,

I quit my job a 3 months ago, played poker basically for the whole 3 months, had the crappiest run of cards and luck, dipped into the bank roll a bit, couldn't handle the emotional swings of losing so much. So I started posting resumes and got some interviews and landed a job. Now suddenly, I'm getting a rush of cards like you wouldnt believe. It's the stuff dreams and hot girls are made of, I've been getting pocket AA, KK, QQ, AKs and A23K double suited in omaha hi/lo and my bank roll is going nuts!

I think that now that poker is a hobby again, I don't mind the losing streaks that occur, but isn't it strange how when you don't care anymore about the result, you suddenly play a whole lot better and everything seems to get magically better just like that?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Quit job, played poker for 3 months, Got new job

what's a "job"?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's a "job"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something you do to earn money? in this case for me, a "job" is a software engineering position.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what's a "job"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something you do to earn money? in this case for me, a "job" is a software engineering position.

[/ QUOTE ]

chance to flaunt your 'title', besides, software engineering isnt real engineering anyways.

I joke [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what's a "job"?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chance to flaunt your 'title', besides, software engineering isnt real engineering anyways.

Kinda like how omaha hi/lo isnt really poker?

Anyways, I was up pretty high today... and now I lost it all back and then some to some paired boards on the river with the nut flush, twice... grrr, its so frustrating!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2005, 07:42 PM

Kinda like how omaha hi/lo isnt really poker?

Anyways, I was up pretty high today... and now I lost it all back and then some to some paired boards on the river with the nut flush, twice... grrr, its so frustrating!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2005, 01:51 PM

Anyways, my whole point is that poker rocks as a hobby, but when you have to depend on it for your livelihood... Unless you got some pretty bullet proof emotions, it's a wild roller coaster and I'm glad to be off that train.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing poker professionally is definitely a tough racket.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you got some pretty bullet proof emotions

[/ QUOTE ]

I know some people feel this way (and Dr. Al has written quite a bit about how difficult it is to play professionally).
However, online-poker is easily the LEAST stressful job I have ever had (although I've had a ton of fun at other jobs...they came with a high-degree of stress).
I do NOT have bullet-proof emotions.

Work when I want, how I want, where I want pretty much.
GF calls and wants to go out...I can just up and leave my 'job' after only a couple of hours and pick it up again at my convenience.

Yes...I lose sometimes. Actually, I'm not even that good a player. but I have the discipline to manage my money decently and not take unnecessary risks.
If I have kids one day I hope I'll still be doing this so that I will not have to spend 50+ hours a week in an office (and commuting and what-not) wearing myself out.

FWIW - if you were multi-tabling online and couldn't make it work after 3 months of playing then I would suggest that it wasn't JUST a bad run of cards.
A decent and dedicated online-multitabler could play 10k hands a week (many can play more).
Along with that and rake-back and multi-tabling it would have to be an INCREDIBLY bad run to go 3 months (100k hands or so) without making it happen.

If you were trying to do it live though then that's a different animal altogether.
being a live B&M pro for a decent wage is pretty tough imo.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Playing poker professionally is definitely a tough racket.

I sort of think that you have to be in what I would call an "endowment" situation - meaning that you have a sh*tload of cash and can play poker off the interest - not quite so dramatic, but along those lines.

Pretty much if the phrase "I had better get a good run of cards soon or else..." ever crosses your mind, then you are probably not in a situation where you should be playing as your primary source of income.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:25 PM

I've done that a few times. I'm a college student and my I only need to make about $400 a month to live. I've had three streaks of playing for my income, all about three months at a time. I won't get into why I can't seem to hold a job anywhere, but I must say that I didn't really like having to win to pay my bills.

It was nice to be able to put my school schedule first and play around my homework, and not play around my homework that I'm doing around my job. I'd still rather just show up and collect a paycheck than put alot of stress on playing as many hands as well as I can as fast as I can.