Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Fighting a war for your country it\'s just not another job

If your country is at war, you think the war is a just and a necessary one, they need volunteers and you have the physical capabilities to do it. Why in the world you are not ready to go? Why you keep making excuses? Why you want some others to fight for you? IT IS YOUR COUNTRY, and your country needs you. Some of your fellow citizens in the military have had to overstay in Iraq, far from their families, because there's not enough people. I'm sure they'll appreciate your contribution. Why do they have to sacrifice? There are not enough patriots in the states?

Why you compare your country at war with joining the red cross, joining the police, joining the firefighters, going to an humanitarian mission? Why? Do you really think it's the same? Your country at war is the same as fighting a fire in the neighbohood?

I'm asking these questions to the young members in the forum, the old (30 or more) chickenhawks, are already too dehumanized, they don't care about any people in the world outside the States, their concepts of justice, fairness, virtue and else are just for Americans; they are so used to these "wars" and "interventions"; for them the military is just another job done for some fellow citizens to keep their way of life.

But what about you?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Fighting a war for your country it\'s just not another job

[ QUOTE ]
you think the war is a just and a necessary one,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to believe that the word 'necessary' when it pertains to war has become so adulterated and impotent that for people who are unwilling to fight but consider the war 'necessary' - the word 'necessary' has come to mean something totally foreign to it's generally accepted meaning.

Not being willing to fight a 'necessary' war is just a contradiction in terms.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:40 AM

How about this analgy, cancer research always NEEDS money, and eveyone supports curing cancer, when you last baught your TV did you stop and think, maybe I shouldn't buy this and donate the money to help cure cancer.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about this analgy, cancer research always NEEDS money, and eveyone supports curing cancer, when you last baught your TV did you stop and think, maybe I shouldn't buy this and domate the money to help cure cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. analogy. ever.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 AM

think about it and you might see it is a good analogy.

where are you willing to draw the line on what to give up for someone elses plight.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 AM

Feels good be agreed with once and a while in this politics forum.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think about it and you might see it is a good analogy.

where are you willing to draw the line on what to give up for someone elses plight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I supported the war I would be over there fighting, because I'm certainly physically able to fight. But I don't support it. I thought we should have dropped bombs on all of the Muslim cities instead of using troops.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about this analgy, cancer research always NEEDS money, and eveyone supports curing cancer, when you last baught your TV did you stop and think, maybe I shouldn't buy this and domate the money to help cure cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. Spelling. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but FYP.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember what I was thinking when I bought my last TV;

But assume your hypothetical situation was true, in that I thought about cancer research in the manner you mentioned but bought the TV anyway. Here are the implications:

1) I didn't actually think money for cancer research was necessary - anything that's 'necessary' implies, by its definition, that I'm obligated to act upon it

and by extension:

2) I'm just a big, blowhard, hypocrite for strongly advocating cancer research while I'm out pissing away money on TVs (if I'm consistently arguing for the virtues of donating to cancer research, as supporters do the Iraq war).

It's tempting (but wrong) to argue that I merely had a lack of willpower - it's wrong because something can't be 'necessary' if a mere lack of willpower would prevent me from acting upon it. It couldn't have been that 'necessary' in my mind if the sheer impulse to buy a TV could overcome the obligation I felt to donate the money instead.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:04 AM

Bush, Cheney and most other top-ranking Conservatives have served their country valiantly, just as I have.