Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Set o\' nickels

5/10 B&M last night.

This was a pretty good table. I had planned on leaving early, but hung around for an extra 3-4 hours because I had a great seat, lots of bad limpers on my right, tight on my left.

Not much to say about the Villians in this hand - they were members of limper-nation. UTG had just cracked an AA (and my KK) with 23s because Mr. AA tried to LRR and got burned. So UTG is feeling very satisfied with himself at the moment. BB had been around for less than an orbit. UTG+2 is a good player, possibly a 2+2er. We have been casually discussing strategy quiety between us during down time.

Enough chitchat. The Hand......

PRE-FLOP: Hero is UTG+1 with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="red"> UTG+2 raises, </font> 4 folds, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

FLOP: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players)
<font color="red"> BB bets, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, </font> UTG+2 folds, CO folds, BB calls, <font color="red"> UTG caps, </font> Hero calls, BB calls.

TURN: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks (?!?), <font color="red"> Hero bets, </font> BB calls, <font color="red"> UTG raises, </font> Hero calls, BB calls.

Walked right into that one - but did NOT want to give a free card.

RIVER: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red"> BB bets, UTG raises, </font> Hero ????

My head still hurts.....

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 08-08-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Set o\' nickels

i don't think i have the balls to raise nor the brains to fold. call and hope for the best? you are getting 21:2 if BB calls, and 25:4 if it gets capped. i don't think you have to be right that often to win.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:06 PM

Folding in huge pots is just wrong, BUT this would be one I might since BB is going to play sheriff for you..
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM

i took another look at the hand. it looks to me like BB may have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] rag[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. and UTG may be going crazy over 2 pair or something
Old 08-08-2005, 07:54 PM

You said he likes to limp, but how was UTG's post-flop aggression?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fairly passive....

FWIW, on the cracked AA hand I mentioned, UTG hit his 6-high straight on the turn (he held 23s), bet out from the CO, I raised him with KK on the Button, and he did not 3-bet me, and check-called the river. He said he thought I had 78 for a higher straight.

Rich

EDIT: Excellent analysis of the OP, cdxx.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fairly passive....

FWIW, on the cracked AA hand I mentioned, UTG hit his 6-high straight on the turn (he held 23s), bet out from the CO, I raised him with KK on the Button, and he did not 3-bet me, and check-called the river. He said he thought I had 78 for a higher straight.

Rich

EDIT: Excellent analysis of the OP, cdxx.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, these hands are the exact reason why I usually answer the straightforward ones in the micro forum.

If this guy was afraid of a higher two-card straight before, he certainly doesn't seem to be now. Even if he decided to overcompensate from wussing out the previous time, I seriously doubt he'd be brave enough to play 2p like this. I'm really not afraid of BB, and I think there's a good chance that the showdown will only cost 2 bets here, but I still don't think that you're good often enough to call.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this guy was afraid of a higher two-card straight before, he certainly doesn't seem to be now. Even if he decided to overcompensate from wussing out the previous time, I seriously doubt he'd be brave enough to play 2p like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing 23 like this tells me that he is a fish. fish play passively when they have a hand unlikely to be beaten, and play bravely when their hand is vulnerable.

you are absolutely good enough to win 10-15 % of the time
Old 08-08-2005, 09:46 PM

While this could certainly be true:
[ QUOTE ]
you are absolutely good enough to win 10-15 % of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

I challenge this:
[ QUOTE ]
fish play passively when they have a hand unlikely to be beaten, and play bravely when their hand is vulnerable.

[/ QUOTE ]
'Fish' is a really poorly defined term (and not so useful at the best of times) but very few definitions of 'fish' include someone who is good at protecting marginal hands.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 PM

I thought for a while, and did not think I was good 1 in 11 times, so I mucked when it was two cold to me on the river.

BB held A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for 2 pair
UTG held 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for 2 pair
Hero mucks 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] three of a kind

It definitely stung, but I think it was a close decision, especially based on my read of UTG.

Thanks for the replies.

Rich