Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 08:24 PM

Default I go for the donk bet

Button is a tight TAG and generally predictable. My image is solid at the table (I believe so). I want to discourage him from trying to steal my blinds. I'd rather he value raises than steals.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Good flop to donk bet? How often would you do it?
If he catches me I hope I can get more calls with legitimate hands/small pots later.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: I go for the donk bet

Whats your plan if he calls? Do you Donk another one out there (assuming you don't hit a 2 flush, ace or something legit).

He could be raising you with any sort of hand from this position, but it is an awful flop if you have 2 overcards (probablly villains holding).
Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats your plan if he calls? Do you Donk another one out there (assuming you don't hit a 2 flush, ace or something legit).

He could be raising you with any sort of hand from this position, but it is an awful flop if you have 2 overcards (probablly villains holding).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope the guy stays predictable. He won't raise without a PP and if he just calls me it means he has overcards (or a monster). I'm checking the turn as I don't think he will bet with overcards only. (I have done a few C-Rs so far, so this might discourage him more) If he bets I'm out.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM

I prefer to check-raise in this sort of situation. What do you do if he raises the flop? I think if he raises you, it tells you almost nothing about his hand. And how do you respond to the raise? If he calls you, I'd fire again on the turn.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to check-raise in this sort of situation. What do you do if he raises the flop? I think if he raises you, it tells you almost nothing about his hand. And how do you respond to the raise? If he calls you, I'd fire again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I C-R then I'll have to invest 2 bets and I think it will be less likely that he folds the flop. So I'll have to fire again on the turn and end up losing money in the end.
My donkbet is exactly what it is meant to be: A donkbet. Just to irritate the guy and hopefully make him fold.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:02 PM

Just so you know, this screams "take this pot away from me with your KQo."
Old 08-01-2005, 12:28 AM

I have no idea what this means. Is a TAG raising KQo on this flop? What's his plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:43 PM

I also c/r, partially for the not-so-insignificant reason that if I defend or just complete the SB, I often end up check/folding the flop. I use the c/r to make sure my opponents don't think they can just autobet anything and get a fold out of me.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM

If I'm trying to discourage my opponent from stealing my blinds, I'm more likely to 3bet preflop and take it from there.