Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Default 6-12 limit hand

I like the way I played this hand, but I think that arguments can be made that I misplayed it on all streets.

Public cardroom O8; 4-8; I've half-killed it to 6-12 on the button; I have right of last action.

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

UTG calls; UTG+1 calls; UTG+2 calls; folded to SB who raises; BB folds; all others call; I call. Five see the flop. Pot $64.

Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

SB bets; call call call; I call. (I like this flop, and I like the way SB is betting it.)
Pot $94.

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

SB bets; fold; fold;call; I call. (I like the turn. I like the way SB is betting out. I want him to bet the river. Pot $130.

RIver is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). SB bets; caller looks doubtful, then calls (I perceive his doubt as genuine); I raise. SB calls; caller calls; I scoop.

Reaction at the table as to how I played this hand is unfavorable. Comments?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: 6-12 limit hand

What on earth did they have?!! A256, other diamonds?

I would have raised the turn to try to get heads up as I have good prospects for both ends, especially against one player rather than 2. However if the calls on the river are a good indication of the table, a raise on the turn would not have acheived anything.

I would probably just have called the river - the discomfort you observed could have been "Quarter Expectation" and I would expect ot be beaten for high by a pair of 2s or 6s.

....and the table thought YOU misplayed it! It sounds just like Bay 101
Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Did the other players show their hands? I'm curious what SB was playing. I was putting him on either a flopped set or A3/A4. Did he have KK with diamonds?

I probably would have played it the same. That turn would have bothered me, thinking a boat filled. May have raised there to see where I was at, depending on reads/image.

You must have been happily surprised at the scoop! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:59 AM

I concur. You had a set of 9s, plus the nut flush with a paired board, and 2nd nut low. And you don't need to pump the pot because SB is doing that for you. I like your raise on the river because it's pretty clear from the 1-bet callaround on the turn that no one filled up, and you have at most 9 redraw outs for a boat. I think a turn raise scares out people from whom you want to take money on the river.

You done good.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reaction at the table as to how I played this hand is unfavorable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol. People who play weak hands and lose often have this reaction

Flop: Raising might get you a free turn card, but with this many opponents, that’s unlikely. And SB might re-raise to isolate which you don’t want. So I like the call.

Turn: I’d probably have raised. I’d figure someone for A3 and I want them to pay, I wouldn’t mind another A4 folding, and I don’t want to give a completely free card to AA-TT. But given the actual hand, flat calling here probably earned you more. Net I don’t’ see a ton of difference between raising now vs. on the river – you either get your 2 bets in on the turn with 1 bet on the river or vice-versa. If your opponents are bad as they appear to be here (no A3 and likely overplayed AA), then waiting is probably better.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:50 PM

I think you played well, though I like gergery's turn raise more than the line you took, especially in a loose live game. In my experience, weak players tend to chase raw non-nut lows with weak high chances, and they won't always pay off when the river bricks high.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:34 PM

I would raise on the flop. Pretty much mandatory, IMO.

Turn is an easy easy raise. Just calling here is very bad as you are likely scooping the whole pot and are giving up 3 bb's. Why are you trapping until the turn when you have them snookered right here. It's all the same amount of money.

River is a good raise. But there you were putting in the most money when you very well might have only gotten half (sb, should have A2-even though he didn't).
Old 07-20-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise on the flop. Pretty much mandatory, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise the flop?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 PM

The flop is five way. You only need 20% equity to break even. You have the nut flush draw and the second nut low draw which might be best. + top pair.

Without doing an estimated equity analysis, I am very sure you are doing way better than 20%.

To be results based, you had the best high draw and the best low draw with five players contesting the pot.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is five way. You only need 20% equity to break even. You have the nut flush draw and the second nut low draw which might be best. + top pair.

Without doing an estimated equity analysis, I am very sure you are doing way better than 20%.

To be results based, you had the best high draw and the best low draw with five players contesting the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree you have way more than 20% equity, and thus want more money in.

My question is more, “Why is betting the flop the best way to get the most money in?” given that it could both slow down SB from betting on the expensive streets, and might results in a reraise which thins the field?