Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Trouble in Paradise !!! Part II: 9 hands

I just lost $41.50 in one session of 61 hands in the $1-game. Here is 9 hands ... Most of them are pretty straight-forward - I think !? - a few are not ...

(1) There is a late limper(LL) to me. I raise in CO w/ QhKs. BB and LL calls.
Ah Ac 6d * It's checked to me. I bet - BB check-raises - LL re-raises. I fold - lost $1.50.

(2) I open-raise 2 off the button w/ TsKd - only the blinds call.
6d 2d Jd * SB bets out - BB folds - I raise - SB re-raises - I call.
6d 2d Jd 9d * SB bets out - I raise - SB calls.
6d 2d Jd 9d 4c * SB checks - I bet - SB calls.
SB shows JsQd - my hand is good - net +$6.00.

(3) I open-raise 2 off the button w/ ThAs - only BB calls.
9h Ac Qc * BB checks - I bet - BB folds - net +$1.25.

(4) I'm posting in CO w/ 9hAd. 2 limpers and a raise to my immediate right. I re-raise - BB calls - one limper folds - one limper calls - original raiser caps it. I call - so does BB and limper. 4 player's ...
5d Ac 4h * BB checks - limper bets - Pre-Flop-Raiser calls. I raise - BB calls - limper re-raise - PFR calls. I cap it - all call.
5d Ac 4h 4d * It's checked to me. I bet - all call.
5d Ac 4h 4d As * BB checks - limper bets - PFR calls. I call - BB folds.
Limper shows 5hAh. PFR Shows TcTh. My hand is no-good - lost $6.00.
How do you like the play of the limper and the PFR ???

(5) I raise - 3 off the button - a poster to my immidiate right w/ QhKd. One player calls behind me - BB calls - the poster folds !? 3 player's and 7.5 small bet in pot.
2s 2h 6c * BB checks - I bet - both folds - net +$2.75.

(6) I open-raise 5 off the button w/ KdAc. One player calls behind me and BB calls.
Qc Js 4h * BB checks - I bet - only BB calls.
Qc Js 4h 5h * BB checks - I bet - BB calls.
Qc Js 4h 5h 3h * BB checks and so do I.
BB shows 9cKs - my hand is good - net +$3.50.

(7) I'm 2 off the button w/ 3c3s. I steal the blinds - net +$0.75.

(8) I'm 3 off the button w/ KhAd. I raise an early limper (EL) - 3 calls behind me - BB and EL calls. 6 player's ...
Ah Jc 6d * It's checked to me. I bet - 3 calls behind me.
Ah Jc 6d 2d * I bet - 2 callers.
Ah Jc 6d 2d 9d * I bet - one caller.
My hand is no-good - caller shows QdJd !? - lost $3.50.
How do you like the play of the caller ???

(9) I'm 6 off the button w/ 3h3d. UTG limps and so do I. When it comes back to me the pot has been raised and re-raised. I call !? 5 player's and 16.5 sb in pot - the blinds folded.
7s 9s 5h * We all check to the button who bets - only I fold - lost $1.50.

How much was bad luck ? How much was bad play ? In a former thread I was told I lost $3 b/c of bad play of QQ ...

Any comments appreciated !!!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Trouble in Paradise !!! Part II: 9 hands

1) fine.

2) Why raise the turn? SB is not going anywhere (you allready tried on the flop and he saw right through you) and you're on a draw.

3) Definately a raise or fold hand.

4) preflop: I guess a reraise it better than a call, but consider mucking it next time. PFR should either raise or fold on the flop and fold to a reraise. Limper played it well, he has to call down with this pot since you could have a big A (and not the set you are representing). All come along on a capped flop, what on earth convinced you that your top pair is good? You played yourself into a bad spot!

5) Standard.

6) Pretty standard. Consider checking the turn and calling his river bet instead, that way you won't get checkraised when you're behind and it might induce a bluff bet on the river from an opponent that would otherwise have folded to a bet on the turn.

7) Fine.

8) Why bet the river? You are only likely to get called by a winning hand!

9) Don't play 33 up front if the game is agressive.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Only in (8) I have to disaggree ...

Thanks for you response ! Only in (8) I have to disaggree ...

<font color="red">(8) I'm 3 off the button w/ KhAd. I raise an early limper (EL) - 3 calls behind me - BB and EL calls. 6 player's ...
Ah Jc 6d * It's checked to me. I bet - 3 calls behind me.
Ah Jc 6d 2d * I bet - 2 callers.
Ah Jc 6d 2d 9d * I bet - one caller.

8) Why bet the river? You are only likely to get called by a winning hand!
</font color>
I'm betting top/pair/kicker in to a runner/runner-flush-board. Isn't that pretty standard ?

Old 02-20-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Only in (8) I have to disaggree ...

I'm betting top/pair/kicker in to a runner/runner-flush-board. Isn't that pretty standard ?

First of all: don't play things because 'it is standard'. Think about your opponents play! I'll give you that in this situation you could have a value bet on the river against a weaker A or a callstation with a J. But on this river you have a flush and a straight hitting, also you could be up against J9 or A9. I think more hands that beat you will call (or raise) than hands you beat. It's close, so I wont say you where wrong for betting - just don't do it by default as your answer suggested you are.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:20 AM

1 - You tried. Good fold.

2 - Don't raise the turn. If SB doesn't have a diamond, he's folding, but if you call, he might try to bluff you again on the river.

3 - good.

4 - Tough decision preflop. Raising seems better than calling, but folding is ok too. Once you get to the flop, the raise is fine, but I just call the 3-bet. Limper looks to have AA, 55, 44, A5, A4. The pot is so big on the turn that it's tough to fold, but if you get bet into, you probably should fold. You've got at most 3 outs, maybe only 1 out to a chop, maybe no outs at all. If you just call the 3-bet then bet the turn if checked to. River call is fine. The preflop raiser played it horribly - he should be gone on the flop 3-bet.

5 - good. I'll fold as a poster if I have crap too.

6 - good. Sometimes bet AK here to try to fold the small pairs. Also you don't want them to get into the habit of thinking they'll get a free showdown after they call the turn bet.

7 - good.

8 - I disagree with the above poster. You have to bet the river. The caller should have folded preflop and should have raised the river.

9 - The game seems a little tight to play 33 in EP.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:43 PM

Default In (2) I wanna make shure ...

Thanks for you response ! In (2) I wanna make shure 3 bb's goes into the pot on the turn/river in case he has a smaller flush !?!

<font color="red"> (2) I open-raise 2 off the button w/ TsKd - only the blinds call.
6d 2d Jd * SB bets out - BB folds - I raise - SB re-raises - I call.
6d 2d Jd 9d * SB bets out - I raise - SB calls.
6d 2d Jd 9d 4c * SB checks - I bet - SB calls.

2 - Don't raise the turn. If SB doesn't have a diamond, he's folding, but if you call, he might try to bluff you again on the river.
</font color>
Old 02-20-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Re: In (2) I wanna make shure ...

That's why you wait until the river to raise. It gets you the same number of bets if he has a smaller diamond but might get you one more bet if he doesn't have a diamond.

If he has a small diamond, he'll bet again on the river and you'll raise. If he'll call your turn raise and river bet, he'll call your river raise.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:07 AM

Default It\'s not that simple !?

I can somewhat see your point.

If he has a small diamond, he'll bet again on the river and you'll raise. Maybe he just check/call the river !?!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:46 AM

BB,

Most of these hands were played the same way I wouldem. HandD
Most #4 stands out though. Why would you call a legitimate raise with A9o, You have 2 EP limpers (AJ and AT are common limping hands) and then a raise. I’ll put the raise2C AQ, limping AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT. I don’t like your chances against any of those hands. I realize you posted and it only cost 1 SB to call, but you run such a high risk of beinged (3 st 1 SB outs or less) that when you hit part of the flop you can spend a lot of bets finding out you come second. Pass on this hand. Play A9 first in in late position. As for your o play ths hand. e limper made a loose limp with A5s in EP, but then played it very well. Your 4 bet on the flop convinced him you had AA, but he’s going to pay to see it. When the A come river hAA, bue knows he’s got you. The PFR with TT stayed way too long.

In hand 8 you asked what we thought of the play of the guy with Qd Jd. I don’t know where he was sitting, but limping with QJs isn’t too bad. If he cold called you it’s a little loose but if he called after another caller I think it’s OK. On the flop he’s got middle pair with a runner runner flush or straight possible so I think in a big pot I’d take a card off too. Once he picks up the flush draw on the turn he’s going to see the river. He should have raised you when the flush came in. Saved you a bet. You can spend the saved bets too.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Thanks ! Good analysis ! n/t