Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 06:19 AM

Default did phil ivey choke?

if you watch the video on cardplayer matusow was saying phil ivey was just playing so bad..."why are you getting in these 2 million dollar pots"....
i don't know what phil was thinking what he had to do..maybe he didn't like getting pushed around in the beginnin....maybe he felt like he had to take a stand a couple times...maybe he was just gonna either shoot for 27th place or first... overall it seems like quite a collapse.
from 2nd place in chips, to 20th place?
In a span of 30 minutes I believe...he still had 2.9 million when the standard raises were going for 200g's..won 2 small pots, and then went broke with JJ vs. KK. I'm probably just as disappointed. He had another good chance slip away, but this time it seems it weren't the cards' fault but his.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: did phil ivey choke?

Yes.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:20 AM

I've always thought that Ivey is probably the most likely player to make a final table, yet I hardly see him take it down? He always seems to come to the final table with the lead, just to finish 2nd or 3rd. This doesn't surprise me much at all. He's still a fantastic player but this is his flaw, his achilles heel. You don't have to have 50% of the chips-in-play when it gets to final 3. Anything can happen at that point. Really, when he's sitting on that many chips with 27 people left he should cruise to the final table playing more like a perpetual cash game. IMO, he takes risks he doesn't NECESSARILY have to before it gets SHORT-handed, and by that I mean 4 or less. As far as Raymer goes, his hand doesn't seem like much of a bad beat really...the guy semi-bluffed, and then called a raise and hit his card. This happens to us all on the internet every day. It just seems like such a bad beat b/c of the circumstances and cameras. I'm sure Greg realizes that luck has a lot to do with getting so far. Besides, I think he's "due" for some bad beats, right? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Ok, ok, that was crossing the line, but I think he made quite a name for himself (again). Lets put it this way, in 2 years he's placed better than 8169 opponents, and worse than just 24.

In 03'-04' Harrington's ratio was placing better than 3408, and worse than just 5. A much better ratio, albeit this doesn't include a 1st place victory. I think I'd still lean towards Raymer as a slightly more impressive 2-year performance. This takes into account his overall victory, which Harrington didn't have and the fact that in the non-similar event, Raymer faced 5618 opponents instead of 838, a much more daunting number.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He always seems to come to the final table with the lead, just to finish 2nd or 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

He just won a bracelet a few weeks ago.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He always seems to come to the final table with the lead, just to finish 2nd or 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. Try this: www.dictionary.com and enter "anomoly".

Cheers!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:29 PM

To say that Ivey "choked" is to imply that the pressure of the situation and the stakes involved caused him to play at a level less than his best. Given that Ivey plays for more money on a daily basis than many of us will see in our entire lives, it's a little preposterous to think that the stakes involved had any effect on him at all. In fact, I always figured his greatest advantage over the rest of the field was that he was more used to this kind of money than anyone else in the field, and thus would be the least affected by the stakes.

From the hand-by-hand accounts, it looks like he played his regular selectively aggressive game, and ran into a combination of good cards from his opponents and players who simply weren't afraid to play back at him. Undoubtedly all of the players left knew his game well and the style he plays, and they deliberately fought back.

The only thing I don't understand is why Ivey didn't adjust his game mid-way when he realized his aggro game wasnt working, i.e., tightened up a bit to maintain his stack until the later stages of the night. But, at those blind levels, a few instances of poor timing with his aggression and half his stack is gone, and he just couldn't recover.

Is it disappointing? Yes. Could/should he have done better? Almost certainly. Does it detract from the quality of his performance in the ME and his status as one of the best in the world? No way in hell.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. Try this: www.dictionary.com and enter "anomoly".

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

"No entry found for anomoly.

Did you mean anomaly?"

...and yes, his fifth WSOP bracelet in five years is quite obviously anomalous, isn't it.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:34 AM

Not the first time he ends a tournament like this.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:45 AM

Come on be fair it's happened to us all, we've been strolling along on the crest of a wave, and all of a sudden we get but on a redonkulously bongletastic table where everyones reraising and going crazy, only to find out the bastards had aces every hand and they were not so crazy after all.

Mack
Old 07-15-2005, 07:44 AM

I agree. I think Ivey is still great. I've been WAY up and got moved to another table, only to lose my FH to the nut FH, then next to a 4 of a kind...out. What are you gonna do?

I believe he definitely made some 'emotional' decisions that got the best of him though.