Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Lost my job today...

As a few of you know, about 3 weeks ago I started a job selling Toyotas at a local dealership. I was brand new at the job...I was the definition of a greenpea. I'd never even sold a thing in my life. But, they were willing to train me. I was assigned to another salesman to train under, while also working with the general sales manager to get my skills up. It sounded like a pretty sweet deal.

So as it turns out, "training" meant 1 week of crappy training from the other salesman (the sales manager even admitted this), and then another 2 weeks of me floundering around without any sort of guidance. I had to figure out techniques, paperwork, etc. all on my own. A few times I got chewed out for not having my paperwork squared away, but hey, I didn't have a single person run through it with me.

Today as I was walking the lot, the general sales manager pulled up next to me in a golf cart and asked me to go for a ride. I definitely knew something was up. He basically laid out two options for me:

1. I could quit.
2. I could leave the Toyota store and go work for Hyundai right next door.

His reasoning? He didn't think I was picking up skills fast enough (duh...pretty tough to do without any sort of training), and he just didn't have the time to train me himself, which is contrary to the original agreement. So, now I'm being let go from the Toyota store because why? I'm inexperienced? Uhh yeah, they knew that from day one.

So, I'm really at a loss here. I'm very much considering going and talking to the general manager of the place tomorrow and talking to him about this situation. I don't think it's fair that I'm being let go because the dealership isn't holding up their end of the deal. On the other hand, I DO have a job with the Hyundai dealership if I want it, but considering it's owned by the same people that own the Toyota store, I'm not sure if I want to deal with any more potential stupidity. I'm very much considering turning in my key and looking for a new job. Ugh.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Lost my job today...

Ugh...that sucks.

IMO, they should not have hired you in the 1st place if they had that short perspective.

On the other hand, there might be another explanation, but it is just guessing. Finding good/semi-good people to sell Hyundai is more difficult than Toyota, so some new-hire or current Hyundai salesman is given your place to get him or keep him.

If you want to learn sales, you will learn more from selling Hyundai as the brand is weaker.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:00 AM

Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal. Selling cars is a brutal racket. That's why they hire all comers, the dropout rate is very high.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal. Selling cars is a brutal racket. That's why they hire all comers, the dropout rate is very high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. ALL sales positions seem to be this way, in my experience. If you are making commission, there is a million swindles to keep you from earning it. If there's a commission to be had, there's a back to be stabbed. It's cutthroat, and I don't envy anyone who is in the business for more than a temporary situation.

As far as your situation, you might as well make the best of it, whatever that may mean. Make some noise. Talk to the GM or whoever is in charge, and keep going over heads and making noise until you feel like you are being heard. I don't know that it will accomplish anything, but at least you'll get some peace of mind.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal. Selling cars is a brutal racket. That's why they hire all comers, the dropout rate is very high

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly true. However, I don't think there is a better place to learn sales. If you want to be a salesman, either take the other job or go find another dealership (car sales jobs are some of the easiest to find). Try to find one with guarenteed money for the first 2-3 months, they tend to train better.

Remember, there is no other line of work that simulatiously has less and more job security....top sales people can get fired because the sales managers's wife was ugly that morning, but anybody can replace that job by afternoon.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude. Car dealerships fcuk people over. That's just what they do. Salespeople fcuk customers, sales managers fcuk salespeople.... it's nothing personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get [censored] by dicks. But dicks also [censored] assholes: assholes that just want to [censored] on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can [censored] an [censored] is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they [censored] too much or [censored] when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of [censored] that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us [censored] this [censored], we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in [censored]!"
Old 07-13-2005, 02:30 PM

nice.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Babe in the Woods

Most salespeople are treated like trash. The reasons salespeople leave a job are:
1. They get fired.
2. Their mgmt gets jealous of their financial success and they play games with their commisions/territory to give them a pay cut.

So why do sales? Because the money can be very nice. The paperwork problems were minor. If you were selling, you would still have a job.

Go to the bookstore and buy some books on selling. Educate yourself! Tom Hopkins has some good ideas but I would not make him my primary mentor.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 AM

"Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM

i wish i could quit/get fired from my job