Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 12:06 PM

Default How to suck at poker

This was from over the weekend and I don't have the HH on this computer so its from memory. Villain is unimaginative and on the weak/tight side. I've played with him at least 4-5 times and would expect he sees me as being very LAG-gy in LP. I'm really only posting this so to force myself to think about the hand again and not play this way in the future.

Party 1/2 NL full, I have $200, he has me covered by a few bucks.

Folded to him 3 off the button and he openraises to $6. I have black KK in the CO and make it $20. Its folded back to him and he thinks a long time and calls.

Flop: T84r ($43 less rake)

He donkbets $20 into me. I'm fairly certain he has a smaller overpair as he plays AA very fast preflop. He's trying to see if I have big cards or a bigger pair. I call, figuring he'll fold to a raise but might continue to bet if the turn is harmless.

Turn is a J, putting 2 diamonds on the board (not a straight flush draw, though). Pot = $83 less rake

He checks to me, I bet $50 and he checkminraises me to $100. I call.

River is an eleventy-four of wands, he pushes and I call.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: How to suck at poker

he turned a set of jacks. I think you should have raised the flop....that tells him you can beat top pair. If you get further agression from him, he's telling you he can beat aa/kk. Raise the flop and this hand plays easier, you can fold to the turn checkraise, etc. Part of the problem with setting traps is that sometimes you step into your own. I did this exact same thing against a real aggro player with KK against his 99. I never raised him and ended up getting all my chips in against his set....i never played it to get information. This line isn't terrible as you committ yourself to a line that you win most of the time, but every once in a while you lose way more chips than you normally would.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 PM

I like the flop call because it puts him in a sticky situation on the turn/gives you more money. But ya, your read on the villain makes me want to fold this turn. Most definitely the river.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:15 PM

Bet flop weak then check/minraise turn = setty mcsetterson. You are beat - let it go.

See how big pairs entice you to go for your stack - they are truly the evil of poker.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 PM

please, watch me suck at poker. similar situation, you need to defend/define your hand even though you're assuming he's got an overpair. I'd try to get all my money in at some point on the flop or at least define my hand so he understands you're strong.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 PM

played fine...what else can you do on the flop? WAWB

i'd have probably checked the turn and called a river bet.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WAWB

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WAWB

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way Ahead/ Way Behind
Old 07-11-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WAWB

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why people think a WAWB situation warrants a complete inducing of weakness in one's play.

You're way ahead or you're way behind. Do you know which one it is ?? How the hell are you going to know by checking and calling, oh yeah : showdown. Putting the opponent on QQ-JJ, why not raise him on the flop and see if he gets overexcited with his overpair ? By letting him control the betting, you are left emming awing to the river, where he will definitely ask for your stack once you've let him take entire control over the hand.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 PM

But he will also realise that he is WAWB and will also want to play a small pot. And then you two will always play small pots when it is WAWB and the person who is WA will win the small pots and that will be each of you the same amount over time and no one will win money or lose money over the long term when they are WA or WB and that is the way that it is supposed to be. You can find out information by raising, but the cost of the raise is more than the value of the information. And it also gives you a chance to get outplayed. Just try to play a small pot. If he insists on playing a big pot, he is probably not in a WAWB situation, which means that he is WA and you are WB. Unless he's bluffing or a donkey.