Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Banking on suited connectors.

This is a hand i recently played in a local $3/$6 NLH game.

We were down to just 3 players, and i was dealt the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the small blind. The button called and raised $15. He had been jacking it up every pot, and I had been waiting for a hand to catch him with. The BB called and raised all-in for $25 more. This disheartened me for a second, but i figured that if the dealer called, then I would too hoping to catch a flop and win a big pot. Well, he did, and I did - knowing that I had the worst hand going in. The flop came 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , and I didn't want to mess around with the hand at all, so I moved all-in on the button for my stack (about $100 more). He folded, the all-in BB flipped over A K and I hit my flush on 4th.

This is a simple hand but I really felt good after it. This is "The Doyle Brunson system" hard at work, if I ever did see it. Don't be afraid to get in there and gamble with hands that have potential to tear up a good number of flops. I would've felt sick had I folded that hand.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Banking on suited connectors.

While this might be a "Doyle Brunson system at work" moment that makes you feel really good about yourself, the correct move here was to fold - calling $25 pre-flop with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with another $100 behind is not a very good idea - the stacks are WAY too small to call with this type of hand. Usually a good rule to use is that you could potentially call if your opponent's stack is ~ 20x more then his bet - (i.e. you could call $25 if he has $500+ behind). Good luck!

- ZeroHour
Old 07-09-2005, 06:48 PM

thanks but, that is not how i play, nor do i think it is the correct way to play. by no means do you need 20x the bet size to call. not even close. putting in up to 20% of your stack preflop on a hand like this is very justifiable when your pot odds and implied odds call for it. if you are only putting in a max of 5% of your stack on hands like these, then you are playing incorrectly, in my opinion, and not playing your hands profitably.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks but, that is not how i play, nor do i think it is the correct way to play. by no means do you need 20x the bet size to call. not even close. putting in up to 20% of your stack preflop on a hand like this is very justifiable when your pot odds and implied odds call for it. if you are only putting in a max of 5% of your stack on hands like these, then you are playing incorrectly, in my opinion, and not playing your hands profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that settles it. By all means call any rz with any suited connector from any position.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that settles it. By all means call any rz with any suited connector from any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

with no regards to actual equity of two hands in that situation and only another few bbs behind....and no real fold equity.

-Barron
Old 07-09-2005, 07:38 PM

in a 3 handed game, yes i would play this hand from any position for this price. you guys clearly have it figured out tho so keep on keepin on. the reason i play them is cuz i figure im not up against them so keep on foldign those suited connectors please! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 07:42 AM

If you're sitting with $1000 3 handed at 3/6 and you call a $200 bet with T9s in the worst possible position..

..You've probably misinterpreted Doyle.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:55 PM

This is a good troll.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:44 AM

The OP is being sarcastic, right? If so, he is a VERY funny guy. If not, I blame his parents.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a reallllly good troll.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.