Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Moving into NYC

So my potential roommates bails on me yesterday and now I am left trying to find a studio/1 bedroom for an August 1 move. It has to be east side, since I am doing the reverse commute out to my job in Westchester, preferabbly Upper East Side. I am scouring Craig's List and online brokers, so far the only decent places I have leads on are all the way on York in the 70's and I just don't know if that is to far out of the way. I was hoping I could benefit from the infinte wisdom of OOT. Thank you all.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Moving into NYC

if you want the upper east side and towards the park be prepared to break the bank. its expensive, and the 70s especially. when i read your first sentence i thought "yorkville is in your future".

try higher up, 100-110. there is a litte sliver thats cheaper than the upper east side but not the ghetto either, and its close to metro north. other than that youre kind of asking an apartment miracle.

edit- re reading your post i see that youre asking if you can get to get to the 456 from york, its a walk but its not that bad. 10-15 minute walk to the trains. i think you can get fairly cheap 1bs in the 50s - 30s way on the east side which would be closer to grand central, maybe try that. that would not be an unreasonable walk.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Thanks.

Ideally, I would prefer something around 86th because its an express stop and 2nd or 3rd.

How would you describe "Yorkville". At this point if I get a good deal (1350ish) im thinking of taking it but am interested on thoughts on the area and the people who live there. Basically, I have been stuck out in the suburbs in Westchester for two years and just need to live in the city for the improved soical scene and dont want to live in a completely dead neighborhood.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:50 PM

yorkville is the east side at the 70s-90s, but way east. it goes 3rd, 2nd, 1st ave, york ave. york and 86th would not be bad at all for you, if you dont mind a 15 minute walk to the train. Which you'll probably have to settle for, the city is expensive. Social wise most of the people in that area arent young but its fine in that aspect, its in close range of good places to go out.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yorkville is the east side at the 70s-90s, but way east. it goes 3rd, 2nd, 1st ave, york ave. york and 86th would not be bad at all for you, if you dont mind a 15 minute walk to the train. Which you'll probably have to settle for, the city is expensive. Social wise most of the people in that area arent young but its fine in that aspect, its in close range of good places to go out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres a lot of young people in yorkville.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:11 PM

really? i havent spent too much time there, i always got the impression it was kind of quiet. its close to a ton of good stuff anyway. ive havent met too many 20 somethings from there, more of the 30+/young family crowd.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:44 PM

I was under the impression the UES sucks and it's nothing but old people and yuppies w/kids, is this not the case? my initial impression was exactly the opposite of the OP's, I'd much rather live in harlem.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Well, you can live in Harlem since Metro-North stops at Harlem 125th St.

But I don't know if you're too keen on that...
Old 07-09-2005, 12:43 PM

I don't get your drift. Why does it have to be east side if you're commuting to Westchester? If you're commuting up there by Metro North or if you're driving , why does it have to be east side ? Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen are two neighborhoods much cheaper to live than UES and you have easy access to Metro North (Grand Central Station).
Old 07-09-2005, 12:47 PM

I would be commuting up on the Metro North, taking the subway up to 125th so I pretty much need to be near the 456 trains.

Harlem is most definetly out.