Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Crazy floor decision.. I think

Tournament play.. The bet is 800 to me. The original better bet with 2 purple (500s), but had said 800. I reach down and absent mindedly put out 2 chips as well, but I had picked up orange (1k). I said nothing. I immediately realizes my mistake, said oops and reached for the chips. The dealer stops me from picking up my chips and calls the floor. After some discussion the floor decides that the original bettor gets the choice of accepting the raise or making my action a call. He decides just to let it go as a call. The hand continues and I actually go on to win.

So I don't have any complaintes about how it all turned out, but, this was an absurd floor decision wasn't it? Since I said nothing, and threw out multiple chips which were more than 2x the bet I think I should have been held to a raise, be it to 2k or a minraise I'm not quite sure. Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Crazy floor decision.. I think

i'm assuming this was at 100-200, you should have been forced to raise to 1400... asking the other player is absolutely ludicrous
Old 07-04-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the original bettor gets the choice of accepting the raise or making my action a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

!?!?!?!?!?!

So the opponent gets to DECIDE what your bet is?

Personally it seems more fair to me that the bettor gets to decide, no? I understand the rules about string bets/angle shoots/etc etc... but if the floor was called, it clearly didn't affect the hand and wasn't done to provoke some sort of action.

-dB
Old 07-04-2005, 11:49 PM

IMO the only possible ruling is that you raised to 2k. I assume this was No Limit and as chips speak in No Limit games a minimum raise is out of the question. Anything else would open the door for all sorts of angleshooting.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:59 PM

I agree that the last person who should have a say should be the opponent. I think that the floor should have looked you in the eye and asked you what your intentions were, then proceed...but I don't know...that leads to angle-shoot problems.

Easy solution: always verbalize your action...it's just one word any way you go. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 AM

So if you pushed your stack in, and then said "Whoops" and tried to pull it back, the decision is ultimately rendered by the original raiser? WRONG. Chips speak, whether its 2 orange or 25 orange.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:48 AM

your voice is binding at the poker table. speakeasy you are foolish, you are comparing apples to hamburgers
Old 07-05-2005, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament play.. The bet is 800 to me. The original better bet with 2 purple (500s), but had said 800.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the original bettor said 800 his bet is 800. So far so good.

[ QUOTE ]
I reach down and absent mindedly put out 2 chips as well, but I had picked up orange (1k). I said nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the absense of a a verbal decleration your chips speak. Given you put two 1000 chips in the pot you have made a 1200 raise to 2000.

[ QUOTE ]
I immediately realizes my mistake, said oops and reached for the chips. The dealer stops me from picking up my chips and calls the floor. After some discussion the floor decides that the original bettor gets the choice of accepting the raise or making my action a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen cases where a player who did no wrong (in this case the original bettor) gets to make this sort of decision but I don't like it here, mostly because there are more betting rounds to come. Had it been the river, I don't see the harm in it.

[ QUOTE ]
So I don't have any complaintes about how it all turned out, but, this was an absurd floor decision wasn't it? Since I said nothing, and threw out multiple chips which were more than 2x the bet I think I should have been held to a raise, be it to 2k or a minraise I'm not quite sure. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The time you would probably get held to a miniraise would be if the original bettor bet let's say 1200 in no limit. You put in four 500 chips. The minimum raise of course is to 2400, but since your raise is more than half the required raise, it would be corrected to 2400. Although there is no half bet rule for the purposes of reopening the betting in no limit, many cardrooms use a half bet guideline for correcting bets.

~ Rick
Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen cases where a player who did no wrong (in this case the original bettor) gets to make this sort of decision but I don't like it here, mostly because there are more betting rounds to come. Had it been the river, I don't see the harm in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick:

Considering that both players erred in this situation and there were players in the hand, I think the floors ruling was fair although I admit it was rather unique for this scenario. He wanted to keep the players happy, the game moving, and his customers returning.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 12:39 PM

And you're not just saying that because the floor guy is a friend of yours, right? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]