Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 11:00 PM

Default My properly bankrolled 3-6 debut.

Well I finally made it up here, since I've been able to keep my bankroll deicated to poker. At first, all I noticed about 3-6 full compared to 2-4 was some serious aggression. And I started off having a few rough hands, then I got settled in and actually posted a great earn for a roughly 500 hand session. It's funny but because I was so focused after moving up I didn't realize that I had an absurd winrate (upswing I guess) today. These numbers are also in spite of the fact that AA and KK only held up 2/4 times each for me. One of the AAs was a huge pot lost to a guy with A/7 who turned and rivered 77 for trips. So in actuality this probably could've been even better. My stats for the quick openiong 3-6 session today:

Hands: 524
VPIP: 19.85
PFR: 10.31
BB/100: 9.20 Wahooo, tommorrow it'll probably be -10

I have one interesting hand to post. Want to know who would've done anything different. Villian is a good player, I actually think he's a 2+2 poster.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO :#A500AF(Villian)/ 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Villian calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB

Turns out he had trip 10's (oops). But here's my thinking with the flop call with bottom pair/backdoor draws. I know this guy's no dummy, but I also know he's an aggressive player who'd bet AK/ AQ etc, the same way so I think it was right to call. So what I'm wondering is would you guys have done anything differently?

Afterwards it was funny because he chats "way to stay in with runners"
So I had to think of some smartass line, and instead of the classic 2+2 "I was suited." I go with "I had a pair" which got him to flip out. Oh well, all in all it was a good day, wish they were all this upswingy.

Thanks for any input,
Matt
Old 07-03-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: My properly bankrolled 3-6 debut.

[ QUOTE ]
Want to know who would've done anything different. Villian is a good player, I actually think he's a 2+2 poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, given your read, the play is terrible.

I assume that villain is the button because you are C/O and he acts after you. So...

What did you put him on when he 3 bet PF?

Why not just bet the flop and call the raise? or If you know he is going to bet AK/AQ here, check raise the flop if you like. Your line, IMO, was terrible.

You never gave him a chance to fold or let you know how strong he was.

What did you think he had that you could risk giving a free card to?

The rest of the hand pretty much plays itself.

You got lucky, obviously. Keep working on it, though.

Good Job and Good Luck
Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate explaining why you make that play rather than just saying "bet". As for what I thought he'd three bet with I'd say nearly any PP and AKsuited or not down to AJ or mabe even AT. But yeah, betting to get a feel for what he had sounds like a plan in that spot. I did take a passive approach though because I basically just wanted to see the turn card. Also, I figured my Q and 9 outs were good. However, your aggressive approach here is definitely a better way to play it.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 07-04-2005, 12:54 PM

Hero played the hand fine. On the flop he has two backdoor draws, an overcard, and a chance to blow the villain off overcards on the turn. I would play the hand exactly the same, and I would have never considered folding anywhere.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero played the hand fine. On the flop he has two backdoor draws, an overcard, and a chance to blow the villain off overcards on the turn. I would play the hand exactly the same, and I would have never considered folding anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but I think that he could have had some fold equity on the flop that he didn't use. As it turned out, there was no way villain was folding, but I like to give them the chance anyway.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:09 PM

I think the only hands that are folding for 1 additional bet on the flop are the hands like 55/66/88 that the hero already beats.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:03 AM

if u play like u played that hand, then you'll be broke inside a week at 3/6, the tight 1/3 blind structure advocates tight play.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if u play like u played that hand, then you'll be broke inside a week at 3/6, the tight 1/3 blind structure advocates tight play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip but don't worry, I've tightened up greatly in the SB as I have full understanding that it's now only 1/3 of a small bet. But now explain what you're saying a little more in depth. You're saying I shouldn't take a shot at the blinds preflop? Now you're also saying I shouldn't stay in a pot where I percieve myself to have
A. A bluffing opponent.
B. 7 immediate outs plus two backdoor draws which equal an out and a half apiece?

Come on man, you may as well have typed, "Generic response by a microlimit player about a 3-6 hand." I appreciate any and all advice/criticism from experienced players but your response lookes like nothing more than an attempt to get your post count up over the 50s.

BTW, I'm not trying to merely sound defensive, it's just that anytime I respond to a hand post, positively or negatively, I give some reasoning behind it just like the first responder did. You didn't, therefore I wonder whether you actually know what you're talking about.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

u should notice that he openraised from a steal position before u judge.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the thoughts sfer. I think at least one of the repliers thought I just started playing at 3-6 off the bat, not that I won my way up there from a 300 dollar deposit (not that that's a big deal). But at least you noticed the one or two things I did right in this hand.