Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 AM

Default calling 3 cold in a HUGE pot

game is an aggressive donkfest as will be obvious from the post. its live 6/12 and oh do i really mean live.

Hero is button with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

PF: UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, 3 cold-calls, 1 fold, Hero calls, blinds call, UTG calls

Flop (16 sb): 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
sb bets, bb calls, utg calls, utg+1 raises, 2 cold calls, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets, sb folds, bb caps, utg folds, 3 calls, hero calls

Turn (19 BB): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
bb bets, utg+1 folds 2 red queens faceup, utg+2 raises, mp1 3-bets, hero calls, bb caps, 2 calls, hero calls

River (35 BB): A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bb bets, 2 calls, hero folds
Old 06-30-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: calling 3 cold in a HUGE pot

i would probably call the river getting 40-1 or whatever it is
Old 06-30-2005, 04:49 AM

I think you played it just fine. I WOULD NOT call the river unless your playing a table full of maniacs or people who play so poorly that they don't recognize a str8 and flush is possible. (lol, unlikely). I don't think you will win in this situation 1 in 40 times.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 AM

I think the river is most interesting. I think unless you are against total morons which you would know better than I do, it's an easy fold and save the 12 bucks. It seems like you might be actually be up against total retards though, which would lean me toward a call. I dunno. If you fold and they ask you what you had, don't tell them you had a set.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 AM

Folding on the river when you're getting 38-to-1, closing the action and holding bottom set really, REALLY sucks.

It's true that you're not going to win this very often - especially given the action. But you need to remember that not calling saves you one bet when you're behind and loses you 38 when you're ahead. Given that you have a legit hand, you describe the table as a "donkfest" and you're closing the action - this is an easy, EASY call.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:20 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i couldn't live with myself folding here. huge pot, bunch of donks, a no-brainer call. you are good here more than enough with a pot that size to freakin' CALL.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:27 AM

If you are going to call 3 cold on the turn, you have to call 1 more on the river. Pot is huge. When they table AA and KK, won't you be rich [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When they table AA and KK, won't you be rich [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
AA just made top set on the river.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to call 3 cold on the turn, you have to call 1 more on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I can't figure out. If you were going to fold to a relative blank on the river, why did you call 3 on the turn?

Against normal players, I'm folding the turn here. However, if they're so bad that you thought you were good 1 time in 9 on the turn, then you must think you're good 1 time in 39 on the river.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to call 3 cold on the turn, you have to call 1 more on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I can't figure out. If you were going to fold to a relative blank on the river, why did you call 3 on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
On the turn he has a redraw against anyone holding a flush or straight. If no one else has a set he has 10 outs (9 if someone's holding the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].) Also, given how things went preflop I'd be surprised to see someone turn over AA, but the river did improve it to top set. I'd guess the missed redraw was the reasoning behind calling 3 and then folding the river.

I think this is a good time to repost the Fur Coat Story. It's important to recognize when you're beat, but don't go overboard. The last two threads I've read on this board both involve someone folding for 1BB closing the action on the river in a 30+BB pot with a pretty strong hand. They may have been correct folds, and I don't just mean that in the results-oriented sense. But making "good folds" can be taken too far.