Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Our Rights Are Being Continually Eroded

From unconstitutional asset seizure/forfeiture laws (on mere suspicion), to some recent and controversial SCOTUS decisions, to an overzealous Justice Department: our rights to self-determination and property are steadily eroding. If anything, the trend seems to have picked up lately and I think this is an ominous portent.

I don't think the blame lies mostly on either Democrats or Republicans, or on Liberals or Conservatives, but rather on a broad mix of politicians and judges who keep strengthening the hand of Statism.

America is great, and was founded on some very important principles--and no other country has (or HAD?) the protections to liberty that we do (or did).

If liberties and rights keep disappearing, eventually America will not really be America anymore. It will just be another giant Statist power called "America".

These are just a few brief thoughts. I find the trend deeply disturbing. That is all for now.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Our Rights Are Being Continually Eroded

I agree that this trend is very disturbing the right to private property is the cornerstone of a free society and if we lose that we have nothing left. There is nothing more impotant to the overall freedom of a countries citizens the right to private property free from government interference. The constitution says the government can only take your property if you're properly compensated and it's for public use somehow public use has been morphed into public benifit to which there's no boundries anybody's house would be more beneficial to the public in terms of tax revenue if it was a wal-mart hell you could take someones house and give it to a homeless guy and make a case that was a public benefit, were does it end?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:48 PM

Default The big question

No periods or commas, just a big, fat question mark at the end. An amazing performance !

[ QUOTE ]

The constitution says the government can only take your
property if you're properly compensated and it's for public
use somehow public use has been morphed into public benifit
to which there's no boundries anybody's house would be more
beneficial to the public in terms of tax revenue if it was
a wal-mart hell you could take someones house and give it
to a homeless guy and make a case that was a public benefit were does it end?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: The big question

No intelligent substantial criticisms of my point just a sarcastic pointless grammar commentary, congratulations. Also I think your comma after the word big was inconsistant with how the phrase big fat question mark would really be said.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:38 AM

The majority of people in this country don't, and never will own their own property. As booker T Washinton said "The truest freedom is that of a person's ability to make and to spend a dollar".
Economic freedom is where its at.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From unconstitutional asset seizure/forfeiture laws (on mere suspicion), to some recent and controversial SCOTUS decisions, to an overzealous Justice Department: our rights to self-determination and property are steadily eroding. If anything, the trend seems to have picked up lately and I think this is an ominous portent.

I don't think the blame lies mostly on either Democrats or Republicans, or on Liberals or Conservatives, but rather on a broad mix of politicians and judges who keep strengthening the hand of Statism.

America is great, and was founded on some very important principles--and no other country has (or HAD?) the protections to liberty that we do (or did).

If liberties and rights keep disappearing, eventually America will not really be America anymore. It will just be another giant Statist power called "America".

These are just a few brief thoughts. I find the trend deeply disturbing. That is all for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Nice hand sir.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Eminent domain isn't a particularly new state authority; the recent SCOTUS decision merely defered to local jurisdictions, and while I hold property rights to be relatively sacrosanct, nothing that has occurred in the recent past is all THAT threatening, IMO.

I'm sleeping fine tonight.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:45 PM

yah...

on one hand, the town of Freeport, TX is moving fast to seize some waterfront property for a new Marina.

But at the same time, smart politicians in Texas are moving fast to greatly limit the scope of Eminent Domain in most cases - so it really depends on your state -

bottom line, if your state won't respect property rights, haul ass out of your state and move to one that will - end of problem -

RB
Old 06-27-2005, 06:54 PM

It's the sum of all things I am worried about, DVaut, and the apparent overall trend. Put it all together and I don't think the direction we have travelled in on these fronts over the last few decades is particularly reassuring or encouraging.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sleeping fine tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because it wasn't your family's house that was handed over to Pfizer.