Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Ridiculous Tipping

So last week, I went to Brooklyn Heights with a friend of mine and we went out to this ale house for dinner, had a few beers, some good food and generally a good time.

When it came time to pay the bill, I needed the bartender to break a $20 for me, and I left him a dollar on the bar. My friend made fun of me for tipping the guy for making change, but I'd been drinking and I try to be an overly generous tipper anyway, because I know that when they see an early 20s college kid, people expect me to be an awful tipper.

Anyway, what's the most ridiculous tip you have/would ever give?
Old 06-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Ridiculous Tipping

I got pizza with two of my friends back in probably 8th or 9th grade, and we were at a rather nice brick oven pizza place during prime dinner time on probably a thursday or friday night. We got one pizza to split. Needless to say, the waiter wasn't too happy about losing a table to the three of us, and didn't provide very good service.

We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face (we stood by the door and watched). It was well worth it.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
didn't provide very good service.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not get this at all.

At an all-you-can-drink brunch a few years back in NYC, four or five of us had the waiter running back and forth so much for more mimosas and bloody marys it was crazy. At one point, he comes to us and says "Guys, you guys are really going through these drinks fast," and we are about to kill him for telling us to slow down when he continues "would it be OK if I started bringing out your mimosas in pint glasses instead of champagne glasses?" HAHAHAHHAHA, awesome. So we stay there a long time and get our bill of about $100. We left $200+. He was very happy.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
didn't provide very good service....We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes tipping is just an easy way to be nice - to brighten someone's day. So, when they're mean to you, you don't have to return the favor by giving them a shitty tip, you can be nice and make their day. This is especially good if you ever plan to return to the restaurant. Next time they'll remember you for being the "nice guy" and you'll probably get better service.

Besides, 120% of the meal price was still probably just 10-20 bucks. It's not like you can't afford to make someone's day and shatter a stereotype at the same time.

My S/O and I often share a meal and sometimes get that look from the servers that we're cheap and won't tip well. But really, we just know our appetites and don't like to order too much food that will just get wasted. So, we often tip 30-50%.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
didn't provide very good service....We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes tipping is just an easy way to be nice - to brighten someone's day. So, when they're mean to you, you don't have to return the favor by giving them a shitty tip, you can be nice and make their day. This is especially good if you ever plan to return to the restaurant. Next time they'll remember you for being the "nice guy" and you'll probably get better service.

Besides, 120% of the meal price was still probably just 10-20 bucks. It's not like you can't afford to make someone's day and shatter a stereotype at the same time.

My S/O and I often share a meal and sometimes get that look from the servers that we're cheap and won't tip well. But really, we just know our appetites and don't like to order too much food that will just get wasted. So, we often tip 30-50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I overtip all the time. I just prefer to do it to people who are friendly and good to everyone, that's all.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I overtip all the time. I just prefer to do it to people who are friendly and good to everyone, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think sometimes overtipping incredibly horrible service, makes more of a point than stiffing them.

I had an experience similiar to the other poster. A group of about 8 of us when I was in HS went into dennys at like 1am one time. Between the 8 of us all we ordered was like 3 shakes and a side of frys. You could tell the waitress just totally had us pegged as the young punk table that shes not getting a tip from, and she gave us awful service. We sat there for like 2 hours and left $40 on like a a $15 tab. She actually ran out into the parking lot and thanked us, and apologized for being such a bitch and being judgemental. That did more for her than us just leaving her like $2.

Im not saying you should try and change every crappy service persons attitute, but sometimes its worth it.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:12 PM

I was at my friend's dorm one day and we decided to get Domino's. It came to 20-25 and when I got down there, the guy goes "25 for the pizza, 5 for the tip," and since I can't understand foreigners I said "what?" and he goes "just kidding" but then I process that it was what he said and laugh and give him the tip.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at my friend's dorm one day and we decided to get Domino's. It came to 20-25 and when I got down there, the guy goes "25 for the pizza, 5 for the tip," and since I can't understand foreigners I said "what?" and he goes "just kidding" but then I process that it was what he said and laugh and give him the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a pizza guy do that to me, I'd stiff his ass
Old 06-26-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a pizza guy do that to me, I'd stiff his ass

[/ QUOTE ]

I could tell he was clearly joking and since he was probably poor I decided a nice tip would be +KE
Old 06-26-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Deliveryman was a jackass for stating tip but $5 on a $25 order is anything but ridiculous.