Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 08:33 AM

Default negreanu religious view?

DanielNegreanu
Professional Poker Player

Sun, Jun 19th, 2005 9:57

That list is defintely not accurate. As for Barry, he is a devoted atheist as is Chris Ferguson. Although Chris is an atheist he signs autographs by adding in quotes "Jesus."

I let him know one night that some people may find that offensive and he said he didn't promote the nickname. He then said that he wouldn't sign autographs like that anymore, but of course that was a lie. I've signed tons of hats and t-shirts since and have seen Chris "Jesus" Feguson on many of those hats. I can't say that I was surprised to see that's he'd lied, but it was a little disappointing. Why say you are going to stop when you had no intention to? Did he think I wouldn't find out? His word holds little weight with me.

The fact that he is a atheist just makes it even uglier. He tried to justify the nickname by saying that many Mexican families name their children Jesus. However, with Chris, his use of the nickname simply mocks the majority of this country who believe that Jesus was our saviour and died a brutal death for our sins.

I'm not as offended by that nickname however as I am of Phil Laak's use of the "Unabomber." What next? We have people parading around with nicknames like "Hitler" and "Bin Laden?"

What the Unabomber Ted Kisinski did wasn't funny. If I lost a loved one at the hands of the Unabomber I would be repulsed by the idea that people may be cheering "Go Unabomber." Imagine for a second a mother watching that on TV? How would she feel about it? Exactly.

STACKED
» Daniel's Blog
Old 06-20-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: negreanu religious view?

anyone else see a problem w/ ferguson's nickname?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 AM

Probably not.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ NO!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He looks like jesus and the religious world who is offended needs to realize that the bible still exists as a piece of literature. By simply not living in servitude and acceptance of god, we are offending them, so why should this matter?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM

Yeah i think it is a bit blastphimus(sp?). It erks me when i here them call him "jesus". I mean i know he probably didn't invent the name it was given to him for his look. And he does look a bit like him. But its disrespectful and blastphimus.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But its disrespectful and blastphimus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im curious if Danny N. or anyone else who has said that using the nickname Jesus is in bad taste, offensive, etc. have ever used the phrase "Holy Cow."

That phrase originated as a way to mock Buddhists(or hindus, can't remember which), because of their belief that Cows are sacred creatures. I would almost say that using "holy cow" is worse that calling Chris "Jesus" as that is a benign nickname that is used soley due to his resemblence to the popular depiction of Jesus, whereas "holy cow" has a malicious history behind it.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:40 PM

I am horribly offended. I think Ferguson should change his nickname to "Turd" instead.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 AM

his got a point with the unabomber stuff.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his got a point with the unabomber stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you think about it, he doesn't. Phil Laak got that nickname because he, in his hooded sweatshirt, looked like the police sketch of the Unabomber suspect. The man who they eventually found looked nothing like that. Not to mention the much more obvious fact that the nickname was bestowed for a very benign reason - his appearance. This is why, despite his best efforts to draw an analogy that would express how offended he is by Phil Laak's nickname, a player nicknamed "Hitler" because he had a tiny upper-lip eyebrow of a moustache wouldn't be particularly offensive (as opposed to a player who got the nickname "Hitler" because he frequently busts Jewish players out of a tournament or something).

Ironically enough, in misinterpreting a symbol for something (Chris Ferguson's or Phil Laak's nicknames) as that something itself (Jesus or the terrorist Unabomber), he's committing the cardinal sin of religion (what Joseph Campbell once described as "going into a restaurant and eating the menu"). If you don't see the irony, I recommend you make every effort to try - it's quite delicious. :P

My initial hypothesis is that he's just looking for something to whine about.