Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Floppin\' the straight on the ugliest of boards....

2/4 NL, Online, 6-MAX

The hand before this came up, I had come over top of villian's continuation bet with TPTK. I have been playing very aggressive at the table and have not shown down any hands. Villian has not gotten out of line and seems to be waiting for a spot to pick me off.

I'm in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and $400 behind. Villian ($400) limps UTG, button limps, SB completes, I make it $25 to go. Villian calls, everyone else drops out.

Heads up to a flop of: ($58)

T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I lead for $50. Villian makes it $160 to go. My action and plan for the rest of hand? Auto-push? Remember this is 6-max....
Old 06-20-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Floppin\' the straight on the ugliest of boards....

I think you're in front on this one - what possibly hands could you put Villain after your preflop raise, that will beat you?
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], could be a possibility - if that's the case you'll probably end up paying him off anyway.
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] doesn't seem right after your raise.

My guess is TT - you don't mention much about your read on him, but that could be a hand he would limp UTG, and still call a raise with. JJ and especially KK he'd probably have raised preflop.
I'd push in this situation - I think you're ahead of him, and he'll probably call you, considering the raise he made.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:29 AM

I push because he limped called your raise. He could have 2 pair, or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but doubtful he has 2 hearts.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:39 AM

i hate these kinds of hands... your most likely ahead but if a heart drops or the board pairs your done.. might think about calling the raise and if a blank comes go all in. just my opinion
Old 06-20-2005, 07:10 AM

I would auto-fold this on a full table and "normally" I would push & pray on 6-max. But you said villain seemed like he was looking for a spot to pick you off, and should know that since you were the raiser (even if you were raising a lot), would more than likely have hit this flop. Therefore, against him, I probably would not back the $75 I already had in with the rest of my stack. The possiblities of a split or already being beat added to the times he draws out with one heart or a set just don't seem to justify putting your stack in against this one opponent. Calling however is the worst option, as if a heart or board pair comes on the turn you won't know if it really helped him or not and he's just going to set you in.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 AM

i think calling here and checking is the best option(with the intention to call an all in) if you think about it. once you call the raise on the flop your pretty much pot comitted. this hand could easily get checked down on the turn & river. remember a heart could scare him as much as it scares you. this leaves the chance for him to make a play at you with a worse hand.

or you can just go all in and gamble.. but you cant fold
Old 06-20-2005, 08:01 AM

I think you can fold against this opponent in this situation, and if you are going to be pot committed then you might as well push the flop since the opponent also will be committed and like I said will just set you in on the turn no matter what comes. The option of calling to induce a checked down river without jeapordizing the rest of your stack is illusory since a good player will set you in, and if he's just making a move with the worst hand you would prefer to be allin on the flop.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 AM

I don't see how hero can fold here given the description of his play thus far. He is ahead of everything but a flush.

Push the flop.

Villain will call and have a good deal of equity.

edit - villain's raise seem to define his hand as not wanting a heart, unless he has AA
Old 06-20-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is ahead of everything but a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but the villain was described as not getting out of line and looking to pick off hero. That is why I lean toward folding, when you add that player situation to the possibilites that he does have a flush plus the times he draws out. Without that player read I push all the time in 6-max.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:33 AM

I think this is an easy push.

His most likely hand is a set or 2 pair. maybe a pair + flush draw. No way do I call this and wait for a blank turn to get the money in. You don't know if the heart or a paired board hurt you, so are you going to give it up if one of those scare cards comes? That's a ton of cards. Just get the money in as a probable favorite.