Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Lacking Aggression?

Anybody 3bet this turn? or raise on the river? Villian is nothing special, only a few hands on him.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB
Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Lacking Aggression?

probably not without any kind of a read, even though ever since I started party 5/10 I've been bombarded with a bunch of unchecked agression on the turn.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:15 PM

In the absence of any read your line is OK. If he wants to give you an extra bet with QTo then fine, you do not need to go looking for it... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

This could be a lot of things besides AQ/QJ/22, such as QT/AJ/flush draw (with or without a pair)/T9/AT/KT. You get plenty of freaky nonsense at $5/$10 but don't start spewing too much too soon. Get your read and then use that to extract extra bets, not default "he must be a dork so I 3-bet the sucka".
Old 06-18-2005, 03:02 PM

3-betting isn't any good. MP may be bluffing (he'll immediately fold) or raising a weaker pair hand or 8-9 out draw that often folds the river after the 3-bet. In those cases you may even win less by 3-betting the turn. Even if you assume top pair will pay you off for an extra bet, you're behind here a reasonable percentage of the time. Just call, let the busted draws and weaker hands bluff at you on the river, and bet if checked to.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:41 PM

I play it the same, though I might raise the river at 10/20 against some opponents. At 5/10 this is perfectly fine.