Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Help me understand this concept, two overpair hands.

i played this hand today.
limped in CO with 6d 4d, button folded~
flop comes 4c Jd 6s
a guy in ep bets, a couple of callers in front of me, i think "hmm i have two pair, i should raise" but the part in SSHE "two overpair hands" has the hand with TT you know, and it says to wait til the turn to see if the card is safe or not. and i'm wondering if i should call or raise this flop.

can someone please explain if that applies here or not and why, also if you're feeling generous give me another example where it does apply?

any help is greatly appreciated
thanks.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Help me understand this concept, waiting for turn to bet?

First, I can't say that I would limp here with just 3 callers in front of me.

Personally, I'm going to raise this on the flop. The board is totally drawless. What cards don't you want to see? Most likely another J kills your hand, but beyond that, you really have no way of knowing. An 8 could fall on the turn, giving someone w/J8 a higher 2-pair; who knows. Get your bets in now.

Worst case scenario is you smooth call and close the action (say BB folds). A brick hits the turn, EP bets again, and it's folded to you. If you raise, EP probably calls and check/calls the river UI: you net +1 BB from the turn raise. Compare this to raising the flop, which nets you 1.5 more BB if all 3 call. If the EP bettor is feeling frisky with his TPdK, and one of the callers also has a J, you might get even more bets into the pot.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:48 PM

Regarding your second question, I assume you mean raising vs. betting. A good example is when you are in LP with something like TPTK against a flush/straight board (say you have A9s [not spades] in LP and the board is 789 with 2 spades), there is a bet from EP, and there are like 6 callers in front of you. Raising won't do anything for you, because anyone with an OESD or 4-flush is more than happy to put bets into this pot. Calling is probably the best play, and you can raise the turn if the card and action allow.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding your second question, I assume you mean raising vs. betting. A good example is when you are in LP with something like TPTK against a flush/straight board (say you have A9s [not spades] in LP and the board is 789 with 2 spades), there is a bet from EP, and there are like 6 callers in front of you. Raising won't do anything for you, because anyone with an OESD or 4-flush is more than happy to put bets into this pot. Calling is probably the best play, and you can raise the turn if the card and action allow.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes, this is clear, thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Help me understand this concept, two overpair hands.

reread the SSH section you're refering to regarding the TT "Two Overpair Hands" on page 187. this is a different situation.

#1: there was a flush draw on the board
#2: you had only a single pair

the decision in the hand you referenced talks about the increase of pot equity from flop to turn. in this hand, the change in equity is much less likely. reraise for value here.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in this hand, the change in equity is much less likely. reraise for value here.

[/ QUOTE ]

how come?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:54 PM

Since the flop is drawless: the only card that drastically changes your hand's value (as far as you know) is another J.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:58 PM

hmmmmm okay i think i am starting to see why my fear of being vulnerable is unjustified

edit: i understood that section of sshe to mean "if you think your hand is vulnerable, wait for the turn"

is this correct/incorrect?
i don't really care about the specific hand that was in SSHE
Old 06-12-2005, 06:02 PM

Wait for the turn when both:

-Your hand's equity changes greatly on a turn blank (the board is very coordinated and the pot is multiway)
-You can't effectively protect your hand on the flop, but you probably will be able to do so on the turn.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:53 PM

First of all, I think the preflop limp is good and one you guys should be making regularly.

About the hand in comparison to SSHE, well basically this is a totally different hand.

In SSHE, you had a TT hand with a very coordinated flop. This flop J64r isn't one you should really be worried about at all, it's a very safe flop for your hand. An ace or a jack is all you really don't want to see (and really only a jack is for sure awful for your hand).

Since the limpers have already put money into the pot, they aren't going to fold for one more. And the turn won't really change the value of your hand, but the increased bet size might very well influence those limpers to folding whent hey would have been perfectly willing to give you action on the flop. So build the pot now and tie them to the hand, this will make them more likely to call big bets later since the pot will be much larger.