Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 PM

Default First hand of an SnG - Good Fold with AK?

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...amp;hand=74042

There was a raise, I went over the top, then someone went over me, and the original raiser than capped. Was it proper to fold?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: First hand of an SnG - Good Fold with AK?

Your raise was a nuisance raise. You are offering the guy 3:1. Who isn't gonna take that with implied odds? Or did you think he was raising with crap? Or are you trying to build a pot without a made hand? Or you just trying to take the lead? The problem with this raise is you put a lot of chips in but you arent committed. You need to call or make a real raise.

I haven't played any $11 but from the play I've seen there I would be happy to get my money in 3 ways with AK or 2 ways with an overlay if the 3rd guy folds after your all in.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:53 PM

How about pushing with the original raise?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:11 PM

On level 1 with AK, I would have folded to the initial EP raise to 125. But that's just my style of play with AK at the 11s and 22s.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On level 1 with AK, I would have folded to the initial EP raise to 125. But that's just my style of play with AK at the 11s and 22s.

[/ QUOTE ]

i second that. on lvl 1 and 2 im folding AK a lot . if 2 or more people limp im usually limping as well. then folding the flop.. sometimes i may play AK with a raise. but i dont even fight with it bacause curtains says its a mistake to take coin flips early.. this is true in 11's.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
curtains says its a mistake to take coin flips early

[/ QUOTE ]
The quote I remember from somewhere is AK is a great pushing hand, but a lousy calling hand. I don't mind pushing with it (especially with some $$$ in the pot already), but I am real reluctant to call a push with it.

----------------Jeff
Old 06-25-2005, 08:39 PM

this is a terrible fold in my opinion. Your raise was equally weak. If you an get all your money in PF with AK you are doing very well most of the time, as this hand is difficult to play when you miss the flop for most people.

If you end up against someone with AA, you say nh and move on.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:42 PM

The hand was misplayed somewhere. If you want to play the hand either move allin or fold. The raise to 225 followed by the fold is bad. Once you have over 1/4 of your stack in with AK here, you should call the rest against these $11 bozos.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:52 PM

Move all-in or fold? Hmmm, interesting.

Would you ever call this raise and play the flop? Do you not call any raises with AK in an 800 chip game at this point? This has piqued my curiosity as I think I may have discovered a leak - I call this almost 100% of the time.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Move all-in or fold? Hmmm, interesting.

Would you ever call this raise and play the flop? Do you not call any raises with AK in an 800 chip game at this point? This has piqued my curiosity as I think I may have discovered a leak - I call this almost 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call PF raises with AK all the time, but I'm not going to call a 8XBB raise with it. If the PFR made it T45 to go or something then I would see a flop before investing myself anymore. I'm not a big fan of putting in 1/7th of my chips when I will commonly be folding on the flop or even preflop should someone move all-in behind me. If I call the T45 raise and then someone pushes behind me I don't feel too bad giving it up and fighting another hand.

As for this hand, I would just fold preflop and move on. I guess the only other option is to push it all-in and I'm not too keen as to if that is the better play when I can hopefully outplay my opponents later and not have to rely on a coinflip in Level 1.

Brad