Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Thermonuclear Pineapple

I feel I've been keeping this secret from the world long enough. I play in a home game that includes a few 2+2ers. There usually are three or four different games going, with six or seven of us usually in some type of rotation game. A typical lineup would include O/8, Stud or Stud/8, occasionally some 2-7 triple draw, and hold'em. At some point a few months ago, hold'em got bumped for pineapple. Often these games drag on until 4 or 5 AM, and since everyone is craving the action, we usually have most of the table to the flop. Pineapple, with it's additional possibilities, lends itself to this style. On top of that, we usually play with at least a half kill, and sometimes an escalating kill, so a 2/4 or 3/6 game can turn into 6/12 before you know it.

We liked pineapple, but started tinkering with it. After a couple failed experiments, we settled on Thermonuclear Pineapple, which is now in the rotation every game. Some people complain, but they always want to play it.

Here are the rules:
Button/blinds structure just like Hold'em. All players are dealt five cards. After pre-flop betting, discard one card each. Proceed with the flop, and another round of betting at the small limit. After the betting, discard again and proceed to the turn. Bet at the big limit, discard one final time (leaving each player with two cards), and on to the river. One last round of betting, and best five-card high poker hand wins the pot.

We've put maybe 20 hours into this game so far and it is standing the test. No one seems to have found an ideal strategy yet. Which is better, AAKK or QJT9 double suited? Which hands are unplayable preflop? Which are raising hands? It's a great challenge to play a game requiring you to use more feel, and also attempt to make your own requirements.

Feedback?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Thermonuclear Pineapple

I think the omaha crowd will feel right at home. I would expect strategy to line up very well with good omaha strategy. At least at first glance it seems that way.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Except it's holdem, so one card can beat you rather than requiring two
Old 06-13-2005, 01:23 PM

Yes, I think if you have four cards that make up a good Omaha high starting hand, you have a playable hand. Of course, at 3 AM, everything is playable.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:18 PM

What usually wins, Trips, a Flush or a Full House?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:38 PM

I don't think we've figured out a "usually" yet
Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What usually wins, Trips, a Flush or a Full House?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are jafager, which means you either have Quads, or you run away like a little girl.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are jafager, which means you either have Quads, or you run away like a little girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I just play the cards I'm dealt...or not. Run away! <flails arms>

jafager
Old 06-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Man and I had thought I came up with this game. We used to play it at our bowling league. I think we called it like Omaholdemapple or something of that nature. Pretty fun and action filled. I may have to bring it back to our dealers choice home game.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:03 AM

I thought of this game last month... It's for all you desperate people out there who can't get a game of more than 5 players some days and want a lot of fun action.

It's rather fun heads up too.

Each player gets 4 sets of 2 cards. These cards cannot be interchanged with each other.

You discard one set of cards and put it aside ( we make a rule that you place it to your left, as it becomes important at the finish of the hand )

You now have 3 remaining sets of pocket cards and it's time for the flop. After the flop you discard one more set of cards into the burn pile. These cards are not important anymore.

Now you have 2 remaining sets of pocket cards and it's time for the turn. After the turn you discard for the last time into the burn pile. These cards are not important anymore.

Everybody then turns up their last set of cards and the river is dealt.

If your original pocket cards end up being the strongest hand, then you owe the winner of the hand 2 big bets (unless of course you win the hand, then you are safe)

Any type of betting system can be used obviously.